Installing an additional light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add an additional light switch to an existing lighting circuit.

My garage has a single light in the centre, which is operated by an existing light switch on the wall by the garage door. I want to install an additional light switch by the access door to the house, which, of course, is in the far corner of the garage to the existing switch, so I can turn the light off when leaving the garage, rather than using the existing switch and then breaking my neck when trying to find my way back to the access door in the dark!

Do I have to change the existing ceiling rose to accept wiring from a second switch? Can I introduce wiring from a second switch to the exisitng rose? or do I have to connect the new switch all the way around the garage to the exisitng switch?

Could someone kindly give me some guidance.

Sponsored Links
All you need to d is run a length of 3core and earth cable from the existing switch to where you want the additional switch.
Have a look in the FAQ under two way lighting. Its all explained there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back