Plumbing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can anyone help me, When i put my hot water on to have a bath when i start running the hot water after about 2 or 3 mins i start to get a very bad smell in my property, It is a very strong smell it only happens with the hot water. Pls any idea how i may sort this or what it could be.

Sponsored Links
Well, a good start would be to let us know how the water is heated!

A fire under coldron does produce a bad smell..... ;)

How is the water heated. Gas or electric.

Either way a lot of smell is a sign that something is seriously wrong and needs to be checked.

Tell us more and preferably do not run the bath until you know it is safe.

Electric and it could be a cable overheating with a risk of fire.

Gas and it could be combustion products in the house. That can be lethal as in carbon monoxide poisoning

The water is heated by electric, All i can say it smell sometimes like wastage, I have tryed draining to water tank to see if it may of been coming from there but i could not see anything.

Sponsored Links
Heated by Electric.....

Immersion heater?

Instantaneous water heater?

Elec boiler with wet system?

A little more info is needed TBH...

It is done with a Immersion heater, I don't really know much about these things sorry.

So when you turn the immsersion on you get a smell? Not when you turn a tap on?

After we have heated up the tank with hot water, the go to run a bath of water after about 2 or 3 mins the smell starts, It does not smell if i fill the sinks only when i do the bath.

So it sounds like that u get the smell when some hot water is run off and the immersion heater kicks in??

Does it smell sort of fishy?

It may well be a loose connection in the immersion heater wiring, or one of the switches in the circuit. Turn the power off and have a look in the isolation switch and under the cover of the immersion itself. you may find a melted wire due to a loose connection.

Do let us know if u find anything..

Could be something resting against the pipe? When you run the hot water through it is cooking? Running the sink probably won't take as long so you may not notice it the same.

Cmon lads you're not thinking laterally here, now op two or three minutes after you start running the bath but not when running anything else, is that right ? If so how often do you change your undies?

What I am suggesting is that, if its a loose connx, then the immersion will be running for a while - maybe long enough for the wire to heat up & start smelling. With a sinkful the immersion isnt on for long so the wire doesnt get to meltdown.

Would be good to get some feedback from the OP. I wait, with bated breath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back