Electric v mixer shower: R all combi boilers created equal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete newbie to the DIYnot forum and in need of some expert advice!

Recently moved to a house with a Valiant combi boiler that is a around 2-5 years old. Replacing an old electric shower and have a problem with deciding to go with electric again or a thermostatic mixer shower.

Ideally I'd like a thermo mixer as I'm not sure that electric a)has the pressure and b)not too expensive in the long run.

I've asked around and of course everyone seems to have a different opinion! Someone recently told me that the power of a mixer shower is affected by the flow rate from the combi boiler and that I should go for an electric if the flow rate is low.

ultimatley I want to know if the electric is better (pressure, heat, cost wise) than a mixer if the flow rate is low OR is it still better to have a mixer regardless Please HELP, I'm going round in circles!!!

Sponsored Links
you'll get a better shower from a combi, as long as you have reasonable mains, which you'd need to measure to judge.
Other hot taps would affect showering drastically though.
Gas is cheaper at the mo than electric, so costs would be about the same.

Can't use a power shower on a combi. Which Vaillant is it? I agree it is best to fit a thermostatic shower rather than an electric one usually.

Sponsored Links
Electric showers are very useful when the combi packs up....

(Lights blue touch paper and stands well back)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back