Sorry, another Radiator removal question on a combi system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know it's a subject that's been covered a lot (and I've read all the FAQs) but some of the previous posts seem to conflict and/or don't match my boilder setup, so I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some pointers on how to remove a rad for decorating then put it back without blowing my house up!.

As I understand it I need to do the following:

TO REMOVE RAD (Without Draining Whole System):
- Close both valves on ALL rads (Is this excessive?)
- Close all valves under my Gloworm Combi-boilder(inc Gas?)
- Turn off boiler
- Remove and drain target rad (which will depressurize the system)
- Bleed all other rads before system startup (top floor down)
- Open valves under boiler
- Turn on boiler
- Top-up using filler loop (under boiler)
- Open all other rad valves (bottom floor up)

TO REPLACE RAD AFTER DECORATING
- Repeat all of the above

Does that sound about right or am I a danger to me and my neighbours?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
>Close both valves on ALL rads (Is this excessive?)

only rad your disconnecting

>Close all valves under my Gloworm Combi-boilder(inc Gas?)

no

>Remove and drain target rad

yes

then when refitting check boiler pressure is about 1.5 bar refit rad open valves, top up pressure to 1.5 bar, bleed rad, check pressure is still ok, fire up boiler

you can still use boiler with that rad disconnected providing your pressure is ok.

Thanks for the quick reply, so just to double check I don't touch any of the valves directly under the boilder itself, just shut it off?

Cheers,

Doug

yes just make sure the boiler don't call for heating or you'll be working with hot pipes and water.
once rad valves shut off ok to use boiler cause the water in rad will stay cold.
just check your valves shut fully when rad removed or they will keep dripping and your pressure will be lost.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back