What side should the obscure glass go...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
on a double glazed unit? inside or outside? :confused:

A nice quick one for the resident window experts.

Cheers all.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Normally the smooth side goes outside so that general grime of outsideness doesn't get caught in all the dimply bits

Thanks guys, that would have been my reasoning too. I have just have new windows fitted and have a mix of 'in' and 'out' :cry:

At least it's just the glass unit and not the whole window... :confused: :cry:

Sponsored Links
It looks a very simple job to remove the beading and turn the glass unit around. Is it as simple as it looks? The fitter is coming back to sort out another issue, so I would like him to sort out the obscure glass at the same time.

I presume we are not talking about a sealed DG unit here ?!

:confused: I'm sure the glass unit is sealed, but I just want the whole bit (both panes of glass) turned around so the textured obscure glass in inside the house.

Diyisfun said:
Its a simple job, saw my fitter do it

But surely he took the entire SU out, if what the OP is saying that the textured surface is on the external face of the SU, then you've had it haven't you ?

:eek:

When I refered to inside or outside, I was refering to the inside or outside of the house. I didn't think of the textured surface being inside of the unit itself :confused:

I have just read this:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=382794#382794

At the moment the obscure glass is on the outside of the house, and on the outside of the DG unit, ie I can feel the texture (from the out side of the house). Assuming the units meet the current regs is this current practice?

In an eariler post I stated I had a mix. Well, the window that has obscure glass on the inside of the house has a cracked pane on the clear glass and is being replaced, so he may have turned it around we can't get cut.

Just a thought, the pattern is 'Minster' does this even have a 'flat side'

Cheers.

Mark

The textured surface goes on the inside of the SU, if it's on the outside, then the only reason I can think for that is it's too heavily patterned to be able to create a sealed unit, if that was the case then I think my preference would be to have the pattern inside so that it was easier to clean.

Reg_Prescott said:
on a double glazed unit? inside or outside? :confused:

A nice quick one for the resident window experts.

Cheers all.

Mark
Not read it all here but the obsure glass should normally be on the inside and smooth side facing the room

I have had another (closer) look, and the obscure glass I have is textured inside the unit, the outside is slighlty textured (sort of wavy) this is what I could feel, but the fine detail is on the inside. So I am happy it's the correct way round in the unit itself.

After reading the links about K glass, it seems the K glass should be on the room side. :confused:

Reg_Prescott said:
I have had another (closer) look, and the obscure glass I have is textured inside the unit, the outside is slighlty textured (sort of wavy) this is what I could feel, but the fine detail is on the inside. So I am happy it's the correct way round in the unit itself.

Although not important but I don't like it that way because from the outside you can see the wavy glass effect against the next flat windows but you wouldn't with flat glass on the outside.

I even fitted unit with labels inside the d/g unit :rolleyes: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back