Leaded Windows - inside or out?

cdh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Picked up some new double glazed windows today with diamond leading.
All of them, with the exception of 1 has the lead on the outside pane. However, the window for the WC has the obscure glass on the outside and the lead on the plane glass inside.
Is this right, as the other existing obscure windows & doors in the house all have both the lead and obscure glazing on the outside?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
hi there,i believe your glass is correct,when i have glass supplied that has been leaded,the lead on the obscure units is always on the clear glass,i.e,on the inside,i've never asked why,but i assume it's because they feel the lead won't adhere very well to the uneven obscure side,after all,if it falls off,they have to fix it.hope this helps.

While the lead may well be on the correct side I have a feeling that the glass unit may have been put in the frame the wrong way around.
Contact them to get them to swap it round.

There is no point having leading on the inside of an obscured window.

I know this is probably going to start another debate but here goes anyway.
The 'k' glass is supposed to be on the inside.(according to the stickers on the units),though it is debatable as to whether it makes any difference to it's thermal efficiency if it's inside or out,so we'll assume we all stick to the manufacturers guidelines.
The 'k' coating can't be applied to the uneven surface of the obscure glass,therefore,assuming we're sticking to the rules,the smooth glass(float),has to be fitted on the inside,because it's 'k' coated,and the obscure has to go on the outside,and if manufacturers won't apply lead to obscure glass.
It really only leaves one option.

Sponsored Links
It IMO looks really daft having lead inside, is it there to make the view better when having a poo?

Should have just left it off IMO.
Or leaded the inside of the outside pane before making the unit perhaps?

Since the lead is purely decorative I'd have it whichever way round looks best (or least bad).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back