Potterton Netaheat profile 60 problem Fix or Bin ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, our normally trusty old boiler (there's a joke there I think) has failed.
It's a potterton Netaheat profile 60, and does the following:

Starts up as normal, fan runs, pump runs, pilot ignites, then the main burner lights and the water is heated, for about a minute then a 'click' can be heard and the main burner goes out, leaving the pilot burning, fan and pump running. And that's it, it doesn't light again until it's had about 15 minutes to cool down, then if I switch it back on, the same process occurs.

So could it be a thermocouple problem, in which case I believe I'll need a qualified person to change it.

Or is it worth saving - is it time for a new condensing boiler ?? I don't know how old this boiler is, (it was in the house already) but guess it could be around 15 years - is it at the end of it's life ??

thanks in advance..

Sponsored Links
sounds like the boiler is working but the water isnt circulating.. how hot do the pipes around the boiler get?

I would double check the pump. They can sound and feel like they are spinning but are not circulating.

Have you any zone valves?

the potterton profile is an automatic ignition i.e the pilot is only alight when boiler is on and goes out when off or stat has reached temp on boiler, as you say pilot is on fan is running but main burner is out, this is a boiler problem, poss pcb fault, maybe main burner solenoid has dropped out or boiler is not rectifying. you really need to call someone more qualified to diagnose fault, it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg and parts are available.

Sponsored Links
he said the fan runs the pilot lights and the main burner comes on but dosnt stay lit for long - sugesting the boiler is getting up to temp and the water isnt circulating! check the pump 1st pal!!

read the post, he says the pilot stays on and fan stays on ,if boiler stat was reaching temp these would go off as well as the main burner

I agree pcb normally, wiggle long pcb plug and u normally see sparks arcing, u can solder up the faulty part or get a new one from hrpc,prt 451546 ret approx £140 plus vat
some times it is the gas valve soleniod though.

this bioler is well worth repairing

gud point oakland99 :LOL:

it was the description of the boiler going "click" and the burner goin out wat made me jump to it gettin up to temp

It can be the PCB but I think that I have encountered THREE gas valves where the second stage goes open circuit when its been on for a few minutes.

As the boiler thinks its on by the pilot being on then its not the pump causing the boiler to turn off.

Tony

Thanks everyone for your input,

It appears to be the gas valve controling the main burner. Testing the coil last night showed it was open cct. So it works normally for about a minute, the coil gets a bit warm (electrically not from the gas) and then drops out, the 240v is still present at the terminal, but no gas flowing.

Once again thanks everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back