Replacing Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pull switch in my shower room operates the light and the extractor fan.
The fan has packed up and I have bought a replacement; Vent Axia Silhouette 100T.
The problem is with the wiring. The old fan connections consisted of 2 Red wires,1 black,1 blue 1 yellow and the earth.
The new fan which is double insulated requires 3 connections L; N and Ls. I need advice on which wires to connect and what to do with the unused wires

Sponsored Links
Ok, what wires went where on the old fan. You did make a note of it, didnt you :)

How many cables have you got going into the fan?

what is the wiring at the light like?
what is the wiring at the switch like?

Thank you TTC for your fast response.
I tried to make a note whilst the fan was in situ and I also took a photograph. Even with these I am not absolutley clear.
However the old fan had a terminal block with five connections and looking at it from left to right I see the following:
Connection 1 = Yellow wire from Main cable
Connection 2 = Black wire from fan
Connection 3 = Black wire from fan
Connection 4 = Blue wire from main cable and I think also the black wire from main cable. (Not Clear)
Connection 5 = Two red wires from main cable
Does this make sense

Even more confused :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Based on what you have stated and some educated guesswork I suspect the following is correct

blue and black-->N
reds-->L
yellow-->Ls

all earths (I suspect you have two seperate earth wires running down the same sleeve) connected together with a peice of terminal block

:LOL:
Thanks a lot I will proceed as you suggest.
This is my first venture into this kind of forum and I'm impressed
Best Wishes
Notsoconfused

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back