Connecting Armoured Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How does armoured cable work? if someone puts a spade into it does the outer wires break into the live and cause it to short out? If so should the outer cable be connected to something at the CU end and at the socket end :?:

Sponsored Links
How does armoured cable work? if someone puts a spade into it does the outer wires break into the live and cause it to short out? If so should the outer cable be connected to something at the CU end and at the socket end

The outer armour should be earthed by the use of the correct glands & banjos.
The armour is of steel so should deflect a spade (should but not always) but if not because its earthed the protective device should trip.

Just to add you are meant to earth one end of armour only unless you are using it as the cpc, you are not meant to use it as a cpc combined with one of the cores.

Though not popular you can sometimes use the armour as the cpc. Best place to look it up as to which armour is suitable as cpc is TLC.

Sponsored Links
beleive it or not its true.

you can create an "earth loop"* that casue problems

it comes from using screend cable you should only connect one end to earth.

* right this minute i cant think of the right word / terminology

99% of the time its effect is never a problem, but it can be with some electronic kit

Just to add you are meant to earth one end of armour only unless you are using it as the cpc, you are not meant to use it as a cpc combined with one of the cores.

Though not popular you can sometimes use the armour as the cpc. Best place to look it up as to which armour is suitable as cpc is TLC.

Nonsence.

Taught at colleges by non-knowing lecturers, and spouted around by regs-readers.

This is actually unfortunately a common mis-conseption. (spelling and grammer missing).

You are talking single core armours here, which I highly doubt you have ever come across before....

99% of the time its effect is never a problem, but it can be with some electronic kit

I know about the effect it can have on signal cables, though am struggling to think of the effect it would have on a mains cable?

Or have a look in the wiki!!

as i said it comes from using screend cables, and 99% of the time the effect is not noticed

like a distribution cable armour, earthed at both ends, and along the length, multiple times?

Yes, I know about screen currents, but it doesn't apply ( or is not referred to) with regard to multicore armoureds.

To be fair to Paul he might have been refering to not exporting PME earths.

as i said it comes from using screend cables, and 99% of the time the effect is not noticed

What effect can be introduced to a mains armoured cable by doubling up the armour with a core though?
In signalling systems I have come across the screen is earthed at one end utilising a local earth (functional earthing), none of the cores in the signal cable were used as earth.

as i also said i cant remeber exactly wht its called :oops:

and as i also keep pointing out 99% of the time its not noticed

is it to do with setting up a standing wave in the cable, bouncing back from one end to the other?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back