loop in system light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be connecting a couple of new lights to a recently built porch. I'm pretty sure I have a loop-in system. I am replacing a two gang two way switch with a four gang (The two way switch is for the landing light - the other one way is for downsatairs hall). The odd thing is that I have found a brown cable connecting the two common terminals in the old switch. Does anyone know what this is for and should I carry it on through to the new connections in the four gang switch?

Sponsored Links
Hi

The brown cable is being used as a live feed to the switches. In the new 4 gang switch use this method to provide a feed to the other gangs.

Before you start wiring draw it out how your cables will go. I prefer to only carry live and earth down to switch and return with the switched lives. In ceiling I use 4 terminal junction boxes with live, neutral, earh and switched lives.
With two way switches. One switch has common going to light. The other switch has common going to live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back