simplest question ever for a newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry about the simple question! can somebody explain the wiring for a one way lighting switch i.ie in the hall way immediately as you enter the house?
does there have to be a feed from the mains going to the switch, or just a feed to the light with a switch wire running back to the switch fromm the light just tryna understand the basic concept .

thankyou

Sponsored Links
so feed going straight to light and switch wire going form switch to light ?

Usually, but sometimes the loop is behind the switch rather than at the ceiling rose. If you take the switch off the wall you'll be able to identify what wiring arrangement ypu have.

Sponsored Links
so feed going straight to light and switch wire going form switch to light ?

I hope you meant to type "feed going straight to SWITCH". To complete the circuit you will also need a wire going from the other side of the light back to neutral. :)

looked in switch for one way light and was just one cable twin brown is this comin in as the feed or going out as switch wire? i know really basic question but tryna find out

sorry dont get how it can come in as the feed and go out as switch wire when its only one cable comin from one place i presume, by the way its my friends new place

but should it not be one cable to switch and then one to light ?excuse the simplest question ever think im too old and its not sinkin in appreciate replies just trying to grasp whats happening drawings lose me slightly.??????????

try drawing it yourself (make sure no one is in the room with you) and say what it does as you draw it

Although there a number of methods, they are basically all the same.
Rule No 1 power must always go to switch before light, not after it!
live to switch, followed by switched live to light, followed by neutral to consumer unit is the basic method.
To make things easier junction box is used near to light. It's handy because you can use 2 core + earth cable to run to your switch and again to your old type ceiling rose. Also another cable to run to your next JB for your next light and so on.
Now if you follow the electrical flow, it's the same as the basic method.
Junction boxes under floorboards makes access a bit difficult, so the modern ceilng rose has a junction box built in. You'll see three separate blocks of terminals and it can all be wired up reasonably easy.
You'll find a 'live' comes to the middle block, but it does not go direct to the light. In the same block you'll have a wire going to the switch and then the return wire coming back from switch will go into end block and then from there to light. After the light a wire will go to the third block which will also hold the neutral wire from the original supply cable.
Again there is provision for further cable for next light or for a 2nd light using the same switch.

Yes. Look:
Capture-2.jpg

If it were any simpler . . .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back