cable size for cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are moving to an all electric flat our new (Belling)cooker is rated at 9400 watts.
what size cable will this need?

Sponsored Links
Depends.

Whether you want to design the circuit to take flc or use diversity. Upon the cable length, route and other environmental factors.

Without seeing the circuit I would say that you need to have the circuit checked by a sparks .. only then can safe advise be given . there are so many factors to take into consideration when connecting a high power cooker to an existing circuit.. even to calculate diversity .
If you connect it with too small a cable then you will overload the cable to the fuseboard .. with a result of the very least the mcb tripping when you turn the main oven on. if you do not have an mcb in the CU then the results could be far worse .
Get a sparks in .
Safety first .
Phill

Sponsored Links
If you connect it with too small a cable then you will overload the cable to the fuseboard .. with a result of the very least the mcb tripping

Overloading the cable does not necessarily mean the CPD will operate...

The rule of thumb for cooker circuits is:

32A MCB or 30A fuse
6mm flat Twin+Earth cable

Applying diversity:

9400w

9400/230 = 41Amps maximum

Formula: 10A + 30% of rest + 5A for any socket outlet

10 + 0.3 * 31 + 5 = 24.3A

We only need to cater for 24.3Amps or only 19.3Amps if no socket outlet.

If its a short run from the cooker to the consumer unit then you could get away with 4mm cable.
I would use 6mm cable just incase you get a bigger cooker in the future or the cable run is long.

Also if the cooker switch has a build in 13A socket and the flat is on the ground floor then ideally it should be protected by a 30mA RCD as well.
some old cookers will nuisence trip some RCDs due to there higher leakage currents. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

We are moving to an all electric flat our new (Belling)cooker is rated at 9400 watts.
what size cable will this need?
I should have said the cable in question is the one from the back of the cooker to the outlet in the wall.
Before we give advice we need to know the following

1: what is the rating of the fuse/mcb protecting the circuit
2: what is the size of the existing cable in the circuit.

Depends.

Whether you want to design the circuit to take flc or use diversity. Upon the cable length, route and other environmental factors.

can i ask you , are you allowed to use diversity to calculate the cable size of a cooker cable, its just i thought you were only allowed to use diversity to calculate meter tails and such, not actual circuits , or , are cookers a unique exception, because of the fact they are thermostatically controlled and therefore not drawing full current continiously.....( i cant spell...lol)
thanx in advance p.

The main point is your using a Belling. Mine says 32A supply is required even though it has 4 heating areas on hob one at 2.7kW max and two at 3kW max and one at 3.7kW max. The main oven has three elements top bottom and back (fan) for large bottom oven, and two elements for top oven as no fan in top oven. If you add all these together it is well over the 32A Belling say is required. But Belling somewhere in their electronic circuits have done something so it will still run off a 32A supply.

Just do as manufacturer recommends and you can't go far wrong. It is British after all not any of this German rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back