Myson Apollo Fanfare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Could anyone give any tips on changing a - pump over run stat ?i.e. location ,ease of access etc.

I think from a bit of research on here that is my problem with my heating system.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you explain what your problem with the boiler/heating is i expect a expert will confirm your suspicions of the over run stat or point you to something else.

thermal stat bottom of boiler right hand side easy to do. but a very reliable part, easy to check if its working pump will stay running when the inner case temprature operates it . but this boiler is a positive case and if you dont know what you are doing it can cause saftey issues. pay the price and get a person who knows

Thanks for your replies and to quickly describe the problem with my boiler.

When I turn my boiler on it fires up no problem and the pipes around the boiler get hot and the system starts banging like a rabbit on heat then knocks off, it goes on like this for 2 or 3 more times then the pump (new grunfoss) buzzes and the pipes go cool/warm (pumping round the pipes)as the system starts to work normally and all the radiators heat up nicely.

P.S.
Cleaner/sludge remover added 3 times and flushed (left in for up to four weeks each time) and after the last time flushed and an inhibiter added.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is your pump over run stat that has gone.. power off,outer case off,inner case off, bottom right hand side fitted to back chassis is a disc about size of a ten pence piece.. 2 screws 3 wires make sure you don`t beak or mix up wiring.. On replacing inner case make sure seal is in the grove on the back chassis and sides of inner case fits flush against this.

With just inner case on run the boiler and take a lighted match around case seal checking that flame doesn`t get disturbed. This tells you it has sealed .. 15 minute job

Just a quick reply to say thanks again for info and to confirm this has indeed solved my noisy boiler problem.

P.S. I have had 3 different "corgi" registered engineers who have not been able to solve this for me.

The first said flush the system out it is probably kettleing in the boiler due to deposits. Cost - £20 info only and he bled some rads.

The second said change your pump (not removing the hot water from the boiler quick enough) and you will sort it out. Tried to charge £150 plus vat to change pump. Yeah right.

The third said " oh dear your pump is the wrong way round" the thick bleeder. cost £0 and that was too much.

I can only gather from this that there are "corgi" registered engineers and there are corgi registered engineers and either they just guessed a diagnosis or are incompetant.

So in the end it cost me for a new pump ( it probably needed it after nearly 30 years),a few litres of flushing agent, and finally £9.75 plus vat for a new pump overrun stat.

Thanks again namsag and not a backward gasman at all :D

Glad to be of help...Gordongasman list the mandatory safety checks that need doing then for a job like this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back