RANDALL 103 HEATING CONTROLLER WIRING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:32 pm Post Subject: RANDALL 103 HEATING CONTROLLER WIRING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IM TRYING TO SWAP MY OLD BROKEN HEATING CONTROLLER TIMER, ITS AN OLD TWIST AND CLICK ONE, IVE GAT A COMBI BOILER AND THE HEATING IS CONTROLLED WITH THE ABOVE, IT IS A DAILY TIMER, IM REPLACING IT WITH A DIGISTAT RF 2: WIRELESS 24 HOUR PROGRAMMABLE THERMOSTAT

THE RANDAL UNIT HAS TERMINALS 123[4 which go,s to mains supply]5 and 6
there is 2 power cables leading from above, on the first cable,,yellow to 1, red to 3, green/yellow to 4, blue to 5,,,on cable 2,,green/yellow to 4, blue to 5 and brown to 6

on the unit im fitting it has terminals marked N L 1 2 3 4
any ideas on the wiring, i have gat a diagram of all the wiring units and there layout, its on one page

Sponsored Links
The Randall 103 is just a time clock while the Digistat is a clock plus thermostat. So you will need to remove your old Room thermostat as well!

What make/model is the old stat and how is it wired?

Where do you intend mounting the SCR unit of the digistat?
Also where will the control unit be?

Here are the terminal compared for the Randall and Digistat, But you can't just swop them over as you need to consider the Room thermostat!

Randall 103: Terminal 1 = Digistat: Terminal 3
Randall 103: Terminal 2 = Digistat: Terminal 2
Randall 103: Terminal 3 = Digistat: Terminal 1
Randall 103: Terminal 5 = Digistat: Terminal N
Randall 103: Terminal 6 = Digistat: Terminal L

The green/yellow wires connected to terminal 4 are earth wires.

the randall timer control is under the stairs, and there isnt a thermastat in the house, so its just a 24 hour dial timer unit, so can i just change the wires over, any advice on where to position the wireless section of new digi timer, thanks for all your help by the wau :D

p.s. i have designed a diagram of the wiring which shows all the colours and stuff, but dont know how to post it

Sponsored Links
4trq7m8.jpg

CHEERS DUDE

the randall timer control is under the stairs, and there isnt a thermastat in the house, so its just a 24 hour dial timer unit, so can i just change the wires over, any advice on where to position the wireless section of new digi timer, thanks for all your help by the wau :D

Thanks for posting the diagrams.

As you do not have a thermostat in the house you do not need a digistat if all you want to do is replace the Randall Timer. All you need is a timeclock such as the Drayton LP111 or LP711

Is this what you want to do?

But, if you have already purchased the Digistat and want to use the thermostat - which you really should do if you want to bring they system up-to-date and have proper control over the room temperature, then you will need to change the wiring to bring the thermostat into use

Have you actually purchased the digistat?

Looking at your diagrams, in the top right one - Actual wiring - were are the other ends connected.

A complete wiring diagram showing the pump, wiring centre/connection box and boiler connections are necessary.

Incidentally what boiler do you have? Make and Model please.

Sorry if I seem to be asking more questions than providing answers but it is a bit difficult to know what to advise when you don't know all the facts :)

Are you sure that the picture for your new thermostat is correct?

Digistats only have the following terminals: L, N, 1 (common), 2 (satisfied)and 3 (call for heat) There is no terminal 4. Also the switch should be connected to 1,2 and 3!

HI SORRY JUST LOOKED AND YOUR RIGHT, ON MY DRAWING IVE STARTED THE VOLT FREE CONTACTS ON 2 3 4 WHEN IT STARTS ON 1 2 3 THERE IS A 4TH CONTACT BUT ISNT USED, WILL GET ALL THE DIAGRAMS TODAY AND POST EM

WHAT OTHER DIAGRAMS DO YOU NEED, IVE GOT THE MANUAL, OR DO YOU MEAN THE ACTUAL WIRING ON MY BOILER, ITS A VAILLANT VCW GB 242/282 E B

Take it that it is a Drayton digistat rf.

Lives and neutrals are obvious earth goes into tag half way down on digistat backplate..

Wire that is in terminal 3 of randall goes to common (terminal 1) on digistat and wire that is in terminal 1 of randall goes to terminal 3 of digistat.

THI

unit works great, but isnt a timer, its only a thermastat, got a timer now any chance of some more help please, the terminals on new timer are 1-n 2-L 3-com 4-com -5-nc, there isnt a connector for earth and its a corronado lcd screen unit which is described like this (Large LCD Screen Digital Programmable 5 + 1 + 1 day 2 Wire Volt Free. Heat/Cool. 24/250v 5 Amp ( Battery Operated ) Room Thermostat 0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back