Wiring up a dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a dimmer switch with L1 L2 & C on the back, assuming that it would be a nice easy job replacing what I assumed was a standard wall switch. However having taken the switch off the wall there are 4 wires into for holes, the two wires from the mains go into Live & Neutral Load and the two to the bulb go into Live & Neutral Feed. I have spent the last 3 hours trying various wiring combinations which either don't work or have the light on permanently. What wires go into which holes Help !!!

Sponsored Links
this light tell me more (because what you have is a double pole isolating switch)

The light switch that I removed was a standard on/off switch serving a single bulb in the cellar, hence why I did not expect any complications in replacing it with a dimmer switch - Any clues ?

generally not a good idea to dim cellar lights unless you have converted the cellar to livable space..

connect the 2 neitrals in a terminal block and then use the 2 lives, one in COM or ~ and the other in L1...

Sponsored Links
The light switch that I removed was a standard on/off switch serving a single bulb in the cellar, hence why I did not expect any complications in replacing it with a dimmer switch - Any clues ?

If it was "a standard on/off switch" then why is it so complicated?

its NOT a standard on off switch

I would also guess you have blown up the dimmer since you said you have tried for 3 hours in various combinations

1 red in C the other in L1

both blacks in a single choc bloc

but why dim a light in the cellar?

I am converting it into liveable space hence the upgrade, just about to try the wiring you suggested - Thanks

Tried the suggested one live in L1 & one in Com, and two negatives in a block and that does not work, as I did blow the fuse on one occasion I am now wondering if the sugestion that the dimmer switch has blown is the issue, sounds like a trip to B & Q in the morning. Thanks guys, and watch this space tomorrow !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back