Good practice to vent fan directly into attic space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Been searching for an answer to no avail, so hoping you can help.

Is it good practice to vent a bathroom extractor fan directly into our attic space? The attic does have a ventilation brick installed, if that helps...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, it's a very bad practice, but seems many lazy or cheapskate guys seem to do it.

Hmmm...i had a feeling that might be the case. I'm questioning whether to use an electrician if he recommended doing this then...

If the venting was difficult, we would usually write in our quote "to leave vent in loft ready for a builder or roofer to vent out" or similar wording.

Sponsored Links
cant you vent it into the soffit and fit a backdraft shutter into the pipe?

Yep, that would make sense. The quote simply says "To supply and fit extractor fan in bathroom."

I asked him if he could vent it up and over, through the soffit board - he didn't seem *that* keen but he didn't say no at the same time.

probably doesnt want to get the ladder out!
if he does this make sure the vent is away from a window in the bathroom or any other room.
if the bathroom has an external wall he could just core a new hole out.it only takes twenty minutes and to avoid the ladder for the vent he could use a high rise vent kit which pushes through from the inside

:D

Thanks daytona. Problem is, given that he wants to take the easy way to do the job I don't know what kind of a job he's going to do if we ask him to route it through the soffit board!

Incidentally, how much would you expect the quote for this to be - for the fan and installation?

fans vary in price a hell of a lot.go for vent axia, greenwood, silavent, xpelair . you get the idea, a lot of the cheaper ones are not really up to the job and wear out quickly. also what zone is it in? for example how far away from the bath,what height etc as you may need low voltage.
i cant give you a price as too many variables but it isnt cheap.you have to allow for the wiring,fan isolator,possibly a lv fan and transformer,venting external grill.
sorry to big it all up, i know its only a fan but its a fair bit of work and is notifiable so it all adds up. tell me where its giong in the bathroom and if you have an external wall and i can give you a rough idea on the materials

It's to go [hopefully] almost directly above where we stand in the bath. We want it to run for about 10/20 minutes after we've left the bathroom. The bathroom is small - width 70", length 74", height 92".

There is an external wall but i'd prefer it to go up and over and through the soffit rather than straight out the wall.

about 120 quid on gear then plus about 4(ish) hours labour

If it is not directly above a bath or shower, you can use an ordinary (not a low-voltage) fan.

if the bathroom has an external wall he could just core a new hole out.it only takes twenty minutes

20 mins?

I don't think I've ever cored a fan out in 20 mins.

I have spent upto 5 hours coreing a fan out depending on the wall construction material and thickness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back