Bathroom light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a light switch in my bathroom, within 2 feet of the bath, does anyone know if there is a reasonable (i don't want it to look industrial) waterproof switch or suitably IP rated one I could replace it with....or maybe a clear membrane I could fit over the switch to make it safe but useable?

Sponsored Links
you should not have a wall switch that close to the bath FULL STOP

fit a pull cord switch

Now, that's not entirely true. Sunshine did mention IP ratings so seems to understand what the issue is. :idea: I suppose you did say "should" though, not "must". :D

Your switch would be Zone 2, thus an IPX4 switch could be used. However I have not seen any such switches. They only seem to come in either totally unrated indoor switches, or external (IP56) switches.

So, despite the fact that you COULD have a switch there, you won't get anything that looks decent so a pullcord is a better bet. You can even get dimming pullcords.

An alternative is a proximity sensor type light switch. This can be mounted inside the wall, under tiles or plaster. You wave your hand near it and the lights switch on and off. Probably a lot of hassle though.

yeah you can get flush fitting kits for masterseals

they still look a bit industrial though

Sponsored Links
Switches in zone three are acceptable or outside the zones ie airing cupboard etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back