cutting shape in laminate / wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Complete newbie at wood flooring, but want to wood floor my toilet room, which is seperate from bathroom, so as you can imagine pretty small area!
I am going to remove the toilet completely for the project so it looks better, however the soil stack comes out of the ground behind the toilet.

Any tips/advice on making a template to match the shape and cutting the wood?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
well i think you have answered your own question.....
A template! Use paper. Many different ways to do it but if you use paper and then transfer it to the wood. I like to template the whole area as one if a small area. Next put the flooring together and place the template of the whole area on top of the laminate. Simple.

Paper template every time. Still allow 10mm around the soil pipe for expansion. I then use silcone bathroom sealant to fill the gap....they do various colours now including a couple of browns

Thanks for help so far, one more question.

Whats the best way to tackle door frames when it comes to Laminate floors, dont really want to them off if I can help it. Also plan to leave the skirting boards on, and use edging strips, is this a bad idea?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I ALWAYS take off the skirting. It looks absolutely amateur to do otherwise.

As far as the frame goes, most people use a fine toothed saw to take off an amount that will allow you to slip the laminate underneath.

However, if you have floorboards | personally think they look a thousand times better than laminate.

Definately take the skirting off...it looks so much neater and even if you have to replace the skirting board because of damage with some nice ogee type you can stain and it then compliments the flooring. Be cheaper than that edging stuff thats for sure. The extra hassle is well worth it....

Possibly one of the reasons a lot of folk go for laminate, especially in newer houses, is the thickness. Wood flooring is superior but is usually too thick when it comes to doorways and the rooms adjoining it. It becomes almost a step.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back