Metal flat plate fittings

E

ELDON

Do all metal flat plate fittings have to be mounted on a metal box and not plastic, e.g., dry line boxes?

Sponsored Links
ELDON said:
Do all metal flat plate fittings have to be mounted on a metal box and not plastic, e.g., dry line boxes?

I bought metal boxes for metal flat plate recently and as far as i know, you may use either of them. Moreover metal boxes cost less than plastic ones too.

Thanks, chickoo. Have already bought dry line boxes but read on Homebase site that metal mounting boxes must be used with all brass fittings and wondered if this applies to all metal fittings. Sadly manufacturers instructions are non-specific about this. They do say that an earth wire must be led from the earth terminal on the fitting to the earth terminal in the mounting box, but dry line boxes have no such terminal and so I am rather confused.

no problem putting metal plates on a plastic box as long as the plates have an earth terminal

Sponsored Links
yes i forgot to add what plug said above. Thanks plugs.

Thanks Chick & Plugs, can go ahead and get sockets and switches ready for sparky to come and wire up. Will save him bother and save me weeks of tidying up plasterwork; as on my last three house rewires.

plugwash said:
no problem putting metal plates on a plastic box as long as the plates have an earth terminal

And I know this sounds stupid, pedantic & an@l, but you must attach an earth wire to the switch plate terminal.

securespark said:
plugwash said:

And I know this sounds stupid, pedantic & an@l, but you must attach an earth wire to the switch plate terminal.

Er, Simon, that's what plug said, isn't it?

ELDON said:
Thanks Chick & Plugs, can go ahead and get sockets and switches ready for sparky to come and wire up. Will save him bother and save me weeks of tidying up plasterwork; as on my last three house rewires.
If you're on your 4th house rewire it would have paid you to do your 2381 and 2391 and DIY-ed them....

He said, "as long as the plates have an earth TERMINAL". I know it is a very small point, but there are some out there who take things very literally. The switch may have an earth terminal, but it needs a sound earth conductor wiring to it to be effective.

Like my mate "fill the engine with oil" - he put oil in till it came out of the filler cap.........he took it literally.

Sad, but true.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back