electric regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a new bathroom fitted, the whole lot, tiled, suite, everything.
We had an electrician come in as we wanted a dimmer switch put outside the bathroom for the spotlights we were having fitted in the new ceiling.
I put the frame in as we were lowering the ceiling and the electrician came and put all the wires in for the lights, 6 of them, we put the plastic ceiling up and pulled the wires through the holes we'd made for the lights.
We then phoned the electrician to come and wire them into the lights and he never turned up twice so i ended up doing it myself.
My girlfriend is now panicking about the regulations saying we shouldn't have done it ourselves.
The electrician done the main part and I just wired the lights up.
We have an extractor fan waiting to go in which the electrician was also going to do, its just a replacement for the old one so all the wiring is already there running from a fuse box, are we ok to do this ourselves?

Sponsored Links
This job would be covered by part p of the building regs, as would no doubt the alterations to you have made to the bathroom. As far as the electrical work is concerned then either the elctrician who did the work should be registered to self certyfy or you should have applied to your local BCO for them to do it. The electrician who did the first fix should give you a certificate on completion of the job so he will need to test & inspect your work before he can do that.

any sparks with a concience would need to check all the cabling,verify earthing arrangements and check terminations before giving you a cert.
unfortunately this will be fairly time consuming and hence,not cheap.
but it is possible

This work should be inspected and tested for safety and complience with electrical regulations. A certificate should be completed and building control should be notified.

If you you decide to take on the work yourself. You will not be able to test the work for safety.

And how do you know that your electrician has wired the lights correctly? Just because they work properly dosent mean its safe.

As a part p registered electrician myself i can only advise that you seek out a competent and qualified electrician who can inspect and test the electrics in the concerned area.

Sponsored Links
judging from the OP's question, he is not in posession of sufficient knowledge to be able to test and inspect the circuit he has completed.

it is even more unlikely that he has the necesary test equipment to do it and that it is calibrated..

judging from the OP's question, he is not in posession of sufficient knowledge to be able to test and inspect the circuit he has completed.

it is even more unlikely that he has the necesary test equipment to do it and that it is calibrated..

Thats correct, so I will have to go about finding an electrician. Do I just ask them on the phone if they have a certificate?

Which is the reason that should have been given, rather than just a definate 'you will not be able to' ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back