Electric Shower - Cold water tank or mains ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a 9.5kw electric shower, I've positioned it on the wall and run the pipe work into the loft. Because of where the pipe enters the loft, the easiest connection by far would be to use the mains supply to the cold water tank as it runs very closely to the shower pipe. Does anyone have any opinions on this... would it be ok to connect it there or should I really connect it to one of the outlet pipes from the cold water tank, which would mean a much greater pipe run... I'm also thinking that I would probably get more pressure by connecting it to the mains rather than the tank.

All comments very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
incoming mains is fine (the one you said feeds tank)

think about this, if you did put it onto outlet from tank, what will happen when tank is "empty"?

electric showers always go onto main incoming water feed

Ok, thanks for the reply....

I'll use the mains supply to the cold water tank then :)

For future reference, there are electric showers that are designed to be fed by a gravity-fed cold water supply. These have in integral pump as well as the heating element.

Only electric showers designed for this installation method should be used... if yours were suitable you would know as it would have been a deciding factor on purchase :D

Also you can't use these pumped electric showers on a mains feed as it is illegal not to mention a bit silly.

EDIT: Here they are.

Sponsored Links
:p Many Many Thanks to Beamish for asking, and to Breezer for the answer (and thanks to Adam W too).
I was also about to plumb in my shower and was considering taking the same route as Beamish, but I was unsure whether that supply could be interrrupted, :mrgreen: So I typed my question onto Google, and hey presto! there you were.
AND.... I have now joined, got a lot of DIY tasks coming up, and may need some guidance!
Phill:cool:
:mrgreen:

AYeovilBlokey said:
:p Many Many Thanks to Beamish for asking, and to Breezer for the answer (and thanks to Adam W too).
I was also about to plumb in my shower and was considering taking the same route as Beamish, but I was unsure whether that supply could be interrrupted, :mrgreen: So I typed my question onto Google, and hey presto! there you were.
AND.... I have now joined, got a lot of DIY tasks coming up, and may need some guidance!
Phill:cool:
:mrgreen:
i'll second that..the link gave me my answer to a shower with balanced inputs as i have at present and without heater...i think that is the one in our last house..it was fine...
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back