Boiler/Heating Problem: Ideal Classic FF250

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm cold. My heating has packed in and I'm not sure what the issue is.
A few days ago - I incorrectly bled the downstairs radiators. Whilst I thought I was bleeding them - I was in-fact emptying them!
So okay, I emptied 4 radiators which were full of balck oxide crap.
Anyway ... the affected radiators did not fillup with water again for a seemingly long time (about 1 full day). The water expansion tank is still full - so I have not drained too much water with my effort.
Then, we tried to switch on the heating ... the hot water pump in the airing cupboard made lots of whirling and snarling noises but nothing.
We can still get hot water (well warm water) by turning of the heating at the central control unit and pressing the hot water only button - whilst also ensuring the override switch (I think) is activated in the airing cupboard.

Anyway a few days have now passed. I ordered an identical new water pump and refitted. This time - I correctly vented all the ground floor radiators. This pump is almost silent yet has a nice hum about it. However, the boiler does not 'light' for very long. Once the heating is turned on the pilot light remains lit for only 10 seconds or so and then seems to go out?

I noticed above the gas boiler are two water? pipes. One with a water venting attachment. I opened it a little and expected some water to emerge - no emerges. Shouldn't this vent have a constant supply of water from the system? The boiler feels very warm - just above the pilot light. I wondering if the boiler 'switches' itself off as it thinks it has reached the right temperature and that the water is not being push around the system

Any help/insight very very much needed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
when you drained the rads it didnt re-fill
you have a blocked feed pipe where it enters the heating system

How long should it normally take to re-fill?
As I said it took the best part of 1-day for there to be water in each of the incorrectly bled rads. I must have taken about 3-full washing up bowls.
If it is a blocked pipe- can a magnet be trick be used to find / confirm the issue - read somewhere trying this on the cold feed in the airing cupboard.
If this is the case - can I then attach some form of hosepipe on to a downstairs radaitor outlet and then and the other end to an external tap and use this to force out the air lock. Of course I would need to ensure the expansion tank doen't overfill too rapidly.

If black sludge came out, you need to clean the system. Krrapp in system is very detrimental

Sponsored Links
I've now resolved the issue, however, not before British Gas had tried to trip me off to the tune of approx. 1000 pounds.
I called them out using there first fix service (or whatever its called), and at the same time took out a homeCare 200 policy.
The Guy cam out - changed the pump (which I know was broken) and told me I had a blockage (which I also knew about - but did not know where).
He told me he can't fix it - but thus cant get the heating to work, but for an extra 695 pounds he could get the pipe work replaced around the affected areas and a system flush.
Anyway, I phoned up B.Gas and told them since they had not fixed the fault - they shan't be paid and cancelled the contracts.
As for the pipework - well I removed the pump, and used by own sink unblocker to remove the offending debris. Now the system works again. As for the 600+ system clean - well, I belive a 25 pound bottle of Fernox DS-40 will work just as well.

Well if you believe this and are so clever why did you phone BG and why are you asking on here..

Thought you put a brand new pump in .. are you saying you took it out and put the broken one back in so BG guy would change it again... We all love customers like you :eek:

I belive a 25 pound bottle of Fernox DS-40 will work just as well.
Bottle? Hmmm.
If you empathise with Charlie Dimmock, go for it. SHe loves her water features.

Firstly, this is a forum for help regarding DIY issues - is it not.
I had a problem, ego - asking for help from the general community about this issue... any potential ways to solve it without incurring large amounts of unnecessary work and cost ... so much the better.

Secondly, I responded with the follow-up to HELP others who might in the future face a similar situation. I'm 'certainly not so clever' ... but since faced with a problem, and with the experts unable and unwilling to help for a further undefined period of time (well after christmas) and with kids that are cold due to a heating problem ... you bet I'm going to try any means possible to fix it.

I called them out using there first fix service (or whatever its called), and at the same time took out a homeCare 200 policy.
The Guy came out - changed the pump (which I know was broken) and told me I had a blockage (which I also knew about - but did not know where).
He told me he can't fix it - but thus cant get the heating to work, but for an extra 695 pounds he could get the pipe work replaced around the affected areas and a system flush.

Anyway, I phoned up B.Gas and told them since they had not fixed the fault - they shan't be paid and cancelled the contracts.
As for the pipework - well I removed the pump, and used by own sink unblocker to remove the offending debris. Now the system works again. As for the 600+ system clean - well, I belive a 25 pound bottle of Fernox DS-40 will work just as well.

I think that BG only cover ONE fault in that fixed price repair.

You are a customer from hell. BG come and replace the pump and tell you the charge for dealing with a dirty and blocked system.

You then cancel the payment to BG although they have supplied a new pump and advised you of the further costs for dealing with the blockage.

I find you totally dishonest! You did not tell BG about the failed pump and you knew the system was dirty and blocked. You then cancelled your payment after they have done the work.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back