Honeywell Y plan valve head removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you remove the head without draining the system?

Heating's playing up this evening, quickly narrowed it down to no output on the orange wire (and all works fire if you hot-wire the boiler to the thermostat output).

Look like a new head is needed, so I just tried losening the screws and got some drips out so quickly re-tightened. Should the valve itself be sealed, or do I need to drain to replace the head?

Sponsored Links
If it has a 'pimple' on the top at the end where the grub screw is, then yes you can remove the head without getting wet. If no pimple, you'll have to drain or "bung" the system.
3port-1pimple.gif

If no pimple and you're sgk1950, wait for your plumber ;)

Last edited:
If it has a 'pimple' on the top at the end where the grub screw is, then yes.

Depends how old the valve is :!:

Current valves are in two parts; the brass bit and the tin can on top, which holds the motor and actuator. It sounds as if you have one of the old one-piece valves, so it's a complete replacement.

PS - You can check by the valve no at any plumbers merchant which type you have.

Sponsored Links
Valve has V4073A1039 on one end, it's about 25 years old with no dimple, but once you lift the cover off there are 4 screws (the ones I tried unscrewing - but got drip from between the valve and the head so did back up).

Change the whole thing then. No need to drain system, just bung it.

change the whole valve, the removable head only has two screws holding it

You can also get a conversion kit that will allow the new style removable head to be fitted to the old style body. Still needs a drain down though.

To my knowledge you cant use bungs if you want to open more than two pipe conns.

You can also get a conversion kit that will allow the new style removable head to be fitted to the old style body. Still needs a drain down though.

To my knowledge you cant use bungs if you want to open more than two pipe conns.

Done one yesterday giblets, old honeywell to new, only didn't have a bung. Had to ask customer if she had a spare carrot :eek:

As long as air can't get it water can't get out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back