PVC Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a PVC door which can only be opened with a key from the outside, however, i am now unable to do so as the key just turns but doesn't do anything. It works fine from the inside.

I have replaced the cylinder but this has not fixed the problem.
Can anyone help me? What should i do?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
remove cylinder,handles then complete unit,go to https://www.northwesthardware.co.uk/
to identify which unit you have then ring round to find a local stockist,locksmiths/upvc door fitters etc.
dont attempt it at the end of the day or just before the weekend,if you have major problems it'll be too late to get someone out to help and you may find you wont be able to lock the door,at least you can do that at present?

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I can open and close the lock from outside but I also need to turn the key further to open from outside as the handle does not open the door from the outside. I am having to use my garden door.

Do you know if I can fix it myself? I am guessing, it must only be something very minor as when you turn the key, it just seems to miss something that will allow it to open the door.

Thanks.

In your first post you indicate the key doesn't operate the mechanism from the outside, but in your second post you indicate it's possible to open/lock it from the outside - but with an extra turn of the key :confused:

Sound like you have a split spindle arrangement which disables the outside handle, requiring the key to be turned to withdraw the latch. Has it always operated in this manner, or just recently ?.

If the mechanism is broke, you'll be luck to get a replacement from a supplier before christmas, as most shut down for the period. You may strike lucky with a local locksmith who may be able to assist.

Sponsored Links
it could also be a dual follower mech where the outside and inside handles use a different "hole" in the lock to operate,the outside handle using the lower hole usually,if this is the case a new pair of handles utilising the top "hole" in the lock will mean the lock works the same inside and out but wont automatically lock from the outside,a bit complex so i would seek advise from a locksmith as handyhands suggests.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back