best solution for long hall with uneven walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a long hall, which used to have thick embossed wallpaper which was used to hide the uneven surface of the walls. We have stripped it off and want to paint it white. I think the result will not be very good unless I do something to the walls first, but what?

Lining paper is one solution. Plastering is another but this is very expensive isn't it, especially as its a 50ft hall? Someone mentioned some sort of thick paint solution called eems (?) but I don't have a clue what this is.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Pat

Sponsored Links
If you can afford a 50ft hall you can afford a plasterer.

OK, but if it's worth doing it's worth doing well. Every time someone walks down that hall (and that'll include buyers when you sell) they will see every lump and hollow.

It might cost about £350 to get it skimmed - but in my (not so humble) opinion it will be money well spent.

Sponsored Links
Got to agree with joe on that one. The hall is the first place any visitor (prospective buyer) will see. Lining the wall will only cover so much and any waves or bumps will still be seen :cry: Any money spent now would IMHO be a waste and you would never be happy with the results nor would any buyer. I would get a price from a reputable plasterer and save. I would imagine that you would be quite surprised at the cost, its not as much as you think. When the walls are nice and flat paint away :D Good luck and keep us posted ;)

If it is an old place I would not worry too much about un-even walls. I would fill and make good as much as possible and then use lining paper. But get a decent 1400 lining paper (I think you can even get 1700 but I have never used it) and hang away. I did this in my hall and landing and the results were very satisfactory and at a fraction of the cost of re-plastering.

On the other hand, if you cannot hang wallpaper, plaster may give a better quicker finish

Thanks for all your replies - quote for replastering is a lot more than 350 quid though! First quote is 1200 quid and that's without VAT and finishing. I agree that its probably the best option to get a plasterer, but its a lot of wedge. Anyone got any idea what the eems stuff I mentioned is?

I would say that the person does not want the job. Our plaster, having done some ceilings, offered to skim the wall I later papered.

It is the long wall running from the front door to the top of the stairs, about 30' long and a great height in the stair well. He offered to do it for £100 and I can vouch for the quality of his work elsewhere.

OK, he was offering a good price because we had put a lot of work his way but your quote sounds ridiculous.

Thanks for all your replies - quote for replastering is a lot more than 350 quid though! First quote is 1200 quid and that's without VAT and finishing. I agree that its probably the best option to get a plasterer, but its a lot of wedge. Anyone got any idea what the eems stuff I mentioned is?
If you are within travelling distance of Sussex, there`s a good chance my boy would do it for you. and a Very Good chance it would be an excellent job @ a "country price" ;) In Fact I reckon he could stay near you in an Hotel and take time off his work and still do it cheaper :LOL: :LOL: My eMail is in my profile ;)

I would say that the person does not want the job. Our plaster, having done some ceilings, offered to skim the wall I later papered.

It is the long wall running from the front door to the top of the stairs, about 30' long and a great height in the stair well. He offered to do it for £100 and I can vouch for the quality of his work elsewhere.

OK, he was offering a good price because we had put a lot of work his way but your quote sounds ridiculous.
You definitely got Mates Rates there, but your comments are spot on . ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back