telephone drop line junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My overhead incoming phone cable ends in a junction box, which is really just an enclosure, on my outside wall. From there, the normal indoor cable runs to an old master socket inside the bungalow.. I will replace this socket with a new NTE5 - no problem.

However, I would also like to put two extensions elsewhere in the bungalow. It would be much more convenient if I could run these straight from the junction box rather than from the new NTE5 socket. At the moment, the junction box connections between the outdoor cable and the indoor cable are made inside round plastic discs, which may be in two halves just clipped together.

My questions are: are there connectors which will allow me to run one NTE5 and two extension sockets from an outside junction box? And will this work okay?

Advice on this would be appreciated, please.

Sponsored Links
How many pairs do you have on the cable from the outside DP to your NTE5a?

If it is a 3 pair, use one pair as the lines A/B and then use the other two pairs as 2, 3, 4, 5 back to the DP. Use jellies in the DP to connect to your extension wiring from here.

If it is only four pair, dont connect to A/B - just puch down the four pair to the 2, 3, 4, 5 at the NTE5a's lower half, and do the same at the extensions from the DP outside. You will not have a demarcation point of customer wiring in the second case, so may as well just use a standard full master socket.

Be aware that you are not meant to do this type of work, as it involves your dropwire, but BT would do this this way if you had got them to install the extensions.

The wiring between exchange and the master socket is NOT yours to work on. You cannot ( under the agreement signed with the service provider ) work on or alter that cable (other than in an emergency such as removing a fallen cable from the highway ).

Internal DIY wiring must be on the customer's side of the NTE5

You can do what you suggest but you risk losing the service ( failure to comply with terms of service) and connecting extensions as two wire to the incomer will degrade any broadband service you have or intend to have.

Hi,

By gum, you reply quickly, don't you? Thanks for that.

I'm a bit confused here. I take it that the DP is the junction box to which I referred? In the junction box, there are 7 wires from the drop line: 5 of them are unconnected -1 green, 1 black, and 3 yellow. 2 of them are connected: 1 orange wire is connected to a blue and white wire from the interior cable and a white wire is connected to a white and blue wire from the interior cable. I suspect that you'll say that both the in and out wires are 3 pair.

Now I haven't yet put in the new NTE5. I think I understand that, when I do, there will be six connectors. To these, I connect all six wires from the interior 3 pair. A & B will serve the NTE5: the other ends of the 2,3,4 & 5 wires should be connected, in the junction box, to the wires of the two extensions I want. If I have this right, it's an elegant solution.

I'm a bit concerned about the mentioned degradation of my broadband service. My computer will be connected to the NTE5 - won't that be, effectively, the first socket?

I'm not worried about BT. I used to work for them as a clerk in the days when they gave a service. Now when I've had them out on line failure they mainly seem to be employed to gouge money out of the customer.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sponsored Links
The incoming line is a single pair that connects to terminals A and B on the back half of the NTE5. The front half with the punch down connectors for internal wiring (DIY or BT) and a phone socket plugs into the phone socket on the back half. Hence removing the front makes available a phone socket connected to the incoming line and only the incoming line. This is the the network termination point and provides for testing of the line with ALL internal wiring disconnected.

For best ADSL working the front half of the NTE5 is replaced by a front half containing an ADSL filter between the incoming line and the punch down terminals for internal phone wiring together with an ADSL socket direct to the incoming line. Some have a matching circuit between incoming line and the ADSL socket.

Thus ADSL and phone wiring are separated and the internal phone wiring does not affect the ADSL signal with reflections and losses from the wiring. Also no micro-filters are needed. On the front of the NTE5 is a filtered phone socket and an ADSL socket.

Some makes of the front half provide for ADSL wiring from the unit. Others don't.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm is one source

if its Broadband you only need terminals 2 and 5 anyway - dont connect to the others

Hi again,

I'll order the stuff tomorrow. Many thanks for your advice.

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

If your broadband is connected to the NTE5a, and the drop wire from the external DP is 3 pair, then fit an NTE5a faceplate splitter......

The £10.23 item in this page.

YOU MUST CARRY THE TERMINAL 3 RINGER ONWARDS FROM THIS FACEPLATE AT USE SECONDARY OUTLETS. Dont be confused by people who tell you only to take 2 and 5 around the house after the master. If you fit one of these splitters, YOU WILL NEED the terminal 3 for the ringer.

And please do not going telling me I am wrong - Cause I aint. I do plenty of comms installs.

Luv ya all really - Just get ****ed when questioned on things I know.

Now, if I use the NTE5a faceplate splitter, it looks as if I'd have to run a cable from the new master socket to the two extension sockets I want. This is what I was trying to avoid by just connecting off my outside junction box. The idea was to avoid interior disruption.

I will put in a faceplate splitter if there's a worthwhile advantage to it. But my broadband seems to run okay over just the two wires connected in my old master socket. Perhaps the advantage may lie in the future?

So, I suspect that the next question should be: what's the best set-up for a new NTE5a, broadband, and two hardwired extension sockets?

If your broadband is connected to the NTE5a, and the drop wire from the external DP is 3 pair, then fit an NTE5a faceplate splitter......

The £10.23 item in this page.

YOU MUST CARRY THE TERMINAL 3 RINGER ONWARDS FROM THIS FACEPLATE AT USE SECONDARY OUTLETS. Dont be confused by people who tell you only to take 2 and 5 around the house after the master. If you fit one of these splitters, YOU WILL NEED the terminal 3 for the ringer.

And please do not going telling me I am wrong - Cause I aint. I do plenty of comms installs.

Luv ya all really - Just get p****d when questioned on things I know.

never doubted you lec - just the majority of people reading this will have standard boxes and wont want to spend the additional on a built in faceplate.

so I`ll clarify " IF YOU HAVE A STANDARD FACEPLATE, YOU DONT (INDEED SHOULDNT) CONNECT TERMINAL THREE ! " that better ?

I spend too long unfiltering and dissing T3 myself too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back