Spark wants money in advance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

A spark is preparing a quote for me for a rewire.

He has told me that should I wish to use his services he would require half the money prior to the job. He justified this saying that he had not been paid by a customer on a previous occasion.
The guy is registered with a provider.

Is this reasonable?

Regards,

Sponsored Links
Find someone else.

You shouldn't pay him until you are happy with the work he has done.

Quite reasonable as he/she has to buy quite a lot of materials for a rewire.

Its common to pay a builder in stages throughout a project on an agreed scale but i've never heard of anyone having to pay an electrician for work in advance. My personal experience is you have a quote, agree to have the work done then on completion of the work you receive an invoice and have x number of days/weeks to pay the balance of the invoice.

As has already been suggested find someone else, also the fact he hasn't been paid for a previous job isn't your problem is it?

All the best
Dan

Sponsored Links
bit of a predicament.

This guy comes recommended and is fully registered to self-certify.

Seemed quite thorough when looking at the house compared to another guy who told me he could self-certify when indeed he could not!!

I'll get a third person in.

Never ever part with any money upfront with any tradesmen.Reputable ones should have an account at their suppliers which enables them to obtain materials and pay on monthly accounts.

I have never asked for payment in advance.

Payment terms depends on the job. If its a refurb of a property where the electrical works have to tie in with plumbers, builders, plasterers, etc then its reasonable to agree stage payments. The sparky is usually first in and last out.

My methodology for a full re-wire.

Survey and chat with client- 1/2 day

Draw up plans showing all works- list out a BoQ, work out hours and material cost- 1/2 day.
(a non scale visio with all points, sockets and switch locations, water and gas and CU positions- it doesn't take long and it kills off nearly all ambiguity)

Submit quote and indicate terms and any caveats.

Accepted quote- move forward negotiations regarding start date, access issues and working hours, confirm continuity of work or agree stages of work.

Confirm payment method, dates, terms etc.

On a decent 4 bed I expect 100% of payment for all materials on the bulk order
20% of labour total cost within 7 days invoice weekly for a 4 week job.

The final 20% due post completion and on handover of site records and cert.

I would add that since I never want to VAT register about 75% of clients pay my suppliers bills direct. When this happens I simply add on some time for handling the material order.

A good sparks shouldn't need money up front, even if they do NEVER give any trader more than you get back.

So if he delivers £1000 of materials give him the £1000 immediately- If he gives you an invoice for 50% of the total job labour, make payment when they have done 60-80% of the job.

Over paying or payment up front can create a moral issue with some. (there morals disappear and so do they :eek: )

Maybe there is some reason he doesn't trust you.

Sorry.

if he does not trust me then he should not do business with me.

This guy has been recommended by another tradesman that we have used for years and paid for years on time.

Shouldn't need to ask for anything up front so don't use him. Materials will be on 30 days and mostly returnable if the worst happens. Why would anyone not be able to carry a week's wages? Unless he's on his beam ends he should be able to carry several weeks. I only ask for stage payments on long or uncontrolled jobs (and a rewire - for a house at least ;) - is hardly that).

I take a third deposit, third after first stage (1 st fix) third on completion.

I take payments on card so the client is fully protected. (consumer credit act)

The reasons ?
If someone doesn't want to give a deposit (remeber all will be in writing; with T&C's) they may be unlikely to pay the full amount
It stops them saying day before you start 'my brother in law is going to do it, so I won't need you'- after you have knocked work back for to pencil in their job.

All in writing and if you have a job detail signed by both parties and the payment of a deposit it makes things more binding

I would suggest a third deposit, and all in writing, including dates before any works start.

I had to pay a deposit for my rewire, everything was alright, I also paid in 3 stages.

I guess its sort of fair on both parties as ur not worried about getting scammed and their not worried about being told u cant pay, and if u cant then they can stop and at least have something, and if theyre doing a bad job at least u have some control and are not stuck as uve alreasdy paid them.

I would add that since I never want to VAT register
Doesn't that make you uncompetitive compared to businesses which do register?

BAS- I'm a down sizer, career wise. I try to work only 40 weeks a year, taking on 6-8 full rewires and a few dozen smaller jobs only.

Since I don't employ anyone and do all my own work, my over head is light and the hit rate on quotes last year was 90%, suggesting that maybe my quotes are that much better that others. Clients always seem impressed with the plans sent with quotes and they always comment that the big firms never offer such clarity within there quotations.

Must be doing something right :LOL: SHMBO is an accountant, FCCA and assures me that not having VAT on £4-£7k worth of invoice encourages clients to use my services, 17.5% on the values mentioned might take my quotes over the 'tilt' threshold :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back