depth of back box for shaver socket - advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a shaver socket installed in the wall, which is ready to be plastered over...... my question is do these normally get set back further than a normal socket box?

The guy who put it in the wall has set it about the twice the depth of the back box. I was guessing that he would need longer screws to fix the face plate, but the hole he's cut is quite a bit bigger than the box so there's a large gap around the edge of the back box which now needs a lot if filling - is this normal or would you expect to find it more or less the same as a normal wall socket or switch?

Sponsored Links
Due to the isolating transformer on the back of a shaver socket it does require a deeper backbox.

The norm is a 47mm deep twin box. (Socket boxes are usually 25mm deep)

sounds like he didnt have a deep box and used a normal one,then chased it deeper.you can buy an extension box to go over it,and i recommend you do.at leasy you get something decent to fill up to

Cheers guys, thants a great help :D :D . I did wonder if it would be deeper, or the face plate bigger. Great help. I'll make sure he puts an extension plate over the top.....Otherwise he'll be pulling out lumps of plaster from the back box!! :eek: !

does the extension plate screew on the same way as the face plate, then the face plate over that?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back