My bathroom project.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, it's probably not on the scale of some other projects out there, but I couldn't stand looking at the hideousness of my old bathroom any longer and took the plunge.

First time I've ever done anything like this, and there is a lot of things I'd do differently, but for a first timer, I've done :-

Demolition of existing walls
Removal of old suite
Plumbing of new suite and relocating
Tiling
Installing shower, building plinth, aquapanelling & sealing
Soil stack chopping and re-doing the connections to it
Painting
Stud wall

Got someone in to do :-

Electrics (I'm not crazy!)
Removing of old rad & installing Towel rail (didn't fancy killing the CH by accident).

Worst part was trying to get hold of a plumber and electrician - that took 2 months of no-shows and delays.

I've still got a lot to do, boxing of soil stack, and new door to go in. Floor is still a decision to be made...

All the time I had to keep it as useable as we have no other bathroom ! (I had a 2 day window to remove the steel bath, loo and sink and get them back in again - 1 year old kid had to be washed!).

If I had any advice to offer, I'd say check the sizes of pipework first - I got caught out on the house being imperial and having to convert. That was a scary first day after taking the bath out and finding my olives wouldn't fit.

and, get a friend in... shifting a steel bath on your own is daft.

Taken me about 20 days so far over 4 months.

It's here if you are interested

http://www.psychonix.com/bathroom/

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You've not made a bad job of that. One point to keep an eye on is those thin slithers of tiles at the base of your shower tiling. That's a bit of a "no no" really - those tiles might be problematic in future.
Not too keen on the thin slithers of tiles at the edges of the window wall, but I can see why you did that.
Nice duck by the way. ;)

Thanks for the comment, I've certainly learnt a lot doing this, and it's been a lot of fun (and hard work). I'd probably look to avoid as many slithers in obvious places next time !

Looks a great improvement! Hope it stays that way! Did you tank the shower area before tiling?

PP

Sponsored Links

I've used Aquapanel, taped and sealed joins, sealed internal edges and dabbed silicon on any of the screw threads for fittings (?worth it?). I used the Aquapanel screws on the boards.

Keeping fingers crossed it's all gonna be ok, proof of the pudding is in the eating... Water feed to shower is going on this weekend and should be 7 days + since I did any sealing / grouting so hoping thats a good amount of time before a test.

Water tests in the tray show no leaks on the actual waste plumbing, so happy with that so far.

Thanks.

Hi Turpin.

That looks really nice.

You mention you haven't decided on the floor yet. I would certainly recommend laminate having used it myself. For £60 to £100 you can get a bathroom done easily as its probably 2 packs max. You can get laminates that are suitable for bathrooms. I know some people don't recommend it but even if it only lasts a few years its cheap enough to keep redoing in a small room such as a bathroom.

Phew... a bit more time spent on the never-ending bathroom (had to drop it and decorate the spare room ready for the next 'arrival' in July).

It's nearly done, Shower is fully fitted, electrics all certified, notified and certs received :) - 9.5Kw is doing us fine - I cut into the riser in the loft and teed it before the tank, dropped it through the ceiling and straight into the shower - iso fitted in loft just in case.

Boxed in the soil stack, I think I went overboard on it as the only wood I could lay my hands on was about £20 worth and about 5cm thick - just to support some hardboard... Oh well, it aint gonna fall down :)

Finally decide on what to do at end of bath between it and shower, I was gonna make a series of shelves, but they would be too small, so opted for a 'plinth' and got an old 24 bottle wooden wine case that fits perfectly and holds all the usual bathroom junk.

Painted up the boxing for loo and basin and sealed & caulked it all.

Last jobs are to finish the window beading, stain and final coat of gloss on the ledge. Stain up the shelves by loo & sink, lay the floor. Then it's onto the shelves, mirrors and finally the medicine cabinet.

Been fun :) Oh, I've fitted the new solid pine door as well, looks great :)

http://www.psychonix.com/bathroom/

Kitchen gets the treatment next, then the boiler replacement first week of March....

Great job mate....looks great especially if you've never done this before....steep learning curve i bet. The picture you took from shower view looks top. Think of the money you have saved £££ by not paying someone else. Never mind the satisfaction. Nice one.

Next to last picture... watch out... some guy with massive hands trying to break in!

Ps. The gap left at foot of shower tray... how did you fill it?

Excellent job. 'Er Indoors is putting pressure on me for something similar.

How did you fix the aquapanel to the wall? Is there a gap between the panel and wall or not? What sealant did you use to seal the edges and joins of the aquapanel?

Many thanks.

Hi,

For the base of the shower (where the trap is), I used a piece of white coloured hardboard just gripfilled onto the wooden base, I left a slight overlap by the shower tray (~5m) so the board fits flush. Easy enough to pull it off and replace if I need access to the trap.

For the Aquapanel, I fixed support battens to the wall to bring it out slightly as it has pipework behind it. Then used the Aquapanel screws to fix the panels to the battens - it's pretty solid. I used White Silicon between the panels and then on top of the tiles where the meet at the walls and at the tray.

Any chance of fixing the link to your Pics ? I'd love to see them (sounds like what i am away to do)

Help.. bathroom needs total refit, water penitration through grout, and cracked shower tray,want to avoid same again. floor and walls to be replaced. Q whats bal wp1tanking kit , do i need it do i need green plasterboard or do i use marine ply.do i need membrane want to do it once and well.cant afford this to happen again.yet to buy shower tray should i get one with a lip. really wanted to have whole bathroom tiled and fit units in after, then if i have to change units i don't have to re tile again . how much does all this extra stuff cost.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back