Moving/Extending master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

First of all I know this isnt a wise thing to do but let me explain....

Last August we bought an new place and moved in in September, when the builder we hired to make changes finished. However one of the things he did or his emplolyees was cut the Drop cable in the the NTE5 box. We had asked him to replaster some walls and to remove all the extra BT and NTL sockets and wires that were everywhere, it was a mess. He was supposed to leave the master socket but he didnt. Anyway I found the old bt socket and managed to rewire it to the drop cable and the phone works. But the drop cable was cut outside so there is not enough of it to reach a window, the master socket is just outside for now!!

The drop cable is the old style one, its two black wires. There is a black box outside where it looks like the drop cable has previously been extended as opening this little box you can see the cable connecting to another similiar cable via a circular see through bit of plastic. I would like to do something similiar again and move the master socket to a better location than on the window frame.

What type of cable is this twin black drop cable. Its obviouly the old BT stuff as reading other forms means colored cable (orange etc) which this is not.

I realise that moving the master socket is illegal, but Ive been trying since August to get BT too move our old phone number to the new phone and they messed it up. Cancelling our old phone, issuing us with a new number. I have made 15 phone calls, be given the run around so many times being sent from call centres in India to N. Ireland. that I could rant on and on about. In the end my old number was given to someone else. So stuff em I dont really want to pay them £125 to extend a cable a few feet.

Cheers for any help

A

Sponsored Links
You have the old 1pr cable,the new one has 2 pr ...you should be able to buy this off ebay or elec oulet,it wont be bt wire but will the job...just connect the 2 wires from the dropwire then to the a/b terminals on the socket..

HI

Thanks very much for the reply. Excuse me if these are a silly questions but the cable is called 1pr, its not short hand for anything? Also what type of connecters should I use to connect up to the drop cable. Finally would extending this have any affect on a broadband connection if I got ADSL on the line?

Cheers
A

pr = pair

1pr = 2 wires
2pr = 4 wires
3pr = 6 wires

etc etc

Sponsored Links
Found this on maplin website.................................
Telephone Cable Type CW1308
- To BT specification CW1308 A high quality cable for use in wiring telephone line outlet sockets. It is also ideal for use in other low voltage, low current applications. The cable contains four solid tinned annealed copper conductors each 0.5mm diameter...

CW68Y 6W Phone Cable Black 50 in Stock £0.79

buy this from them and connect it in the bt box where you can see the connectors ,use gel crimps what bt use,run to where you require then connect to bt master socket a/b ...if its for adsl try not to have extensions and go for a wireless hub.....any questions post and I will get back to you

Although it is meant for indoor use only,it can be used outdoor,the cable comes in pairs and it does not matter what pair you use as long as its the same one either end

I had an old 1pr drop wire coming into my house and when I bought a socket to connect it up found that I should have had the new 2pr.

But after a few trial and error connections I found you can wire the 1pr up to a modern socket box.

The socket box had 6 connections, numbered 1-6 and colour coded in green, orange and purple.

I used holes 2 and 5, which were both coloured in purple, and hey presto, the line worked! Don't pay rip-off BT £150 to install a new cable PLEASE!

:LOL:

But after a few trial and error connections I found you can wire the 1pr up to a modern socket box.

If you have a BT NTE5A ( or possibly a 5B, although not seen much now apart from on alarm installations ) you will find that you can terminate ALL variations of BT Drop-Wire on the screw terminals provided on the main plate of the socket ( the bit your NOT supposed to touch ;) ) Even the Cadmium conductors of D/W No. 8 will go in there.

Have you managed to get sorted yet aido ? I see that there a few of the BT NTE5A's on eBay for about a fiver & you can get the disposable termination tools ( for the extension wiring ) for less than a quid.

In addition, if you DO decide to get broadband, DON'T use the crappy filters that most companies supply, spend the extra dosh ( about £5~£10 ) on a new faceplate for the NTE. Then at least all the extensions will automatically be filtered once connected. Also, there are a couple of terminals at the back that are unfiltered, allowing you to run unfiltered extensions if required.

Finally, the cable from the Block Terminal that the d/w connects into can be the 6-core type as long as it's black or grey. The only reason we don't use white cable is because it's not U/V stable and WILL break down after a few years. What you will find on newer installations is cable called Cable Downlead which is basically a copy of the overhead D/W No.10 without the suspension strands in it & also has a coloured extra sheath.

Hope that helps.

i also need to extend the bt drop cable that comes into the house through the corner ogf the kitchen window! but i need to drill through the wall high level on the house exterior.. conceal it in the walls under floorboards etc and then extend it into the living room to a flush 25mm backbox..to make that the master skt from which i can connect up to my sky broadband hub ? modem ? whichever as i am going wireless in my new house for laptop portability.. it is a 4core cable 2 pair ? cable that comes into the house at present.. my main objective at moment is getting the 1st fix wiring correct whilst the floorboards are up walls getting plastered etc so do i 1st extend the cable using this cw 1308 bt cable (from maplin) ? if so i will do this but what do i use to make the cable joint ? + after wiring my master skt i then need a telephone skt adjacent to my alarm speech dialler to give that a connection..do i just run a cw68y 3 pair telephone cable to this.. making the connections in the back of the master skt ? after running a cable to the speech dialler i then have to install a bt skt/slave in 2 bedrooms..do i again just daisy chain the cable from the dialler skt..? again i emphasise i just need to get the 1st fix wiring correct at this stage as i am also rewiring the house renovating the kitchen and bedrooms so just need to concentrate on the entire 1st fix and drop onto the technical stuff later cheers again :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back