gas cooker - hobs and grill fine, programmer and oven dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've got a New World gas cooker - it's fairly old - but would like to know if it's likely to be fixable for a few quid rather than replace it for a few hundred quid

the model is New World Plan 6 Richmond Edition
the installation manual has a copyright date of 1989 and the cooker was here when i moved in in 2000, so it's between 7 and 18 years old

was all working fine, but on friday, the electric programmer suddenly died and the oven stopped working - the hobs and grill work fine

the electric supply to the cooker is still live - oven light works, ignition button for hobs and grill works
the hobs and grill need the ignition button to be pressed - the oven ignition is automatic when the oven gas is turned on although ignition button also works for the oven

the digital (LCD?) timer / programmer display is blank - nothing there at all
when i turn the oven gas on, no gas comes out and there is no ignition spark
when i press the ignition button, there is a spark in the oven and on all hobs and grill (as normal)

the installation manual has a fault flowchart for the oven not working, suggesting things like replacing the ignition unit - but the programmer / timer isn't working either, so wondering if it could be that that's stopping the oven working

i dont really want to call out a service engineer and pay the callout fees and costs of spares, or find out it's not repairable but still have to pay the callout fees

if it's likely to be a small part, fairly cheap, and if i can replace it myself, i'd rather do that - otherwise i'd probably look at getting a new cooker sometime ......

any clues?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I have a New World Creations De Luxe Built In Oven dating from 1992 ref 11 641 43, CKG 21527. The grill works 100% OK (gas, on light and ignition).

However, the clock/programmer and oven ignition are suddenly all dead. I hear a clicking noise from inside the clock /programmer so I plan to replace that first but at £82 from eSpares I wonder if there is anything else (cheaper) it could be.

As a fellow headache, may I be cheeky and ask if you ever got your long ago problem fixed ?

I replaced the programmer / timer at £83 from espares but that did not fix it. Then I checked all wiring for continuity and found the PCB, also known as the fan control board, was visibly fried. I replaced this PCB/FCB, at £80 from Indesit (who now sell spares for older New World cookers) and all now works OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back