TV ARIEL MODS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house previously had a tv ariel running from the ariel on the roof, down the outside of the house, to between my bedroom window frame and reveal then into the bedroom. Of course I got rid of this, and I put in a Y junction off the ariel cable in the loft to the same bedroom. The trouble is that the reception isn't as good as before with the bodged cable through the window etc. I have added a booster but it is still not as good as before, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Make sure the outer earth (a fine mesh copper wire) is not touching the solid copper wire, sometime you cannot see it, if that's okay depending on the type of Y fitting you have, some of them are rubbish. If it's from outside then get a waterproof type.

For a temporary test you can join all three aerial leads together in a block to see if the picture improve

hellloooeee ian 413

im asuming because you said you tee,d it

you just cut the wire out side which as said by masona could cause
the outer and inner core to touch

another point if its just cut outside water could run down the cable
and enter and cause problems

why did you not just reconect the new coax to the ariel
and remove the old bit from the circuit

if you have done these things allready
please accept my appologies :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D :D

big all

You might find it better to use an F-type splitter which is fully shielded as easier to get a good connection.

Sponsored Links
Basic Y splitters are not great if you have a weak signal (you may not know this as the previous setup was OK but on the limit. The amplifier needs to be as close to the aerial as possible to amplify the signal rather than a weak signal superimposed with noise. I assume you have put the amplifier after the Y connector. If you can, I would put the amplifier before the Y connector.

Depends on the amplifier.

A distribution amplifier (or a masthead amplifier) will work best when close to the aerial.

However, many of the signal boosters you buy in high-street shops work best near the TV. Perhaps because they don't have the "oomph" to drive a long cable.

The instructions that came with it should tell you where to fit it.

As Porker says, Y-splitters are bu**ers with weak signals. You can buy higher-grade ones in Maplin, they are £5 instead of £1 and do give a better picture.

The wording of your post has me thinking: have you got rid of the roof aerial and are now using a loft aerial? If so, that could be a problem. Round here I get zero reception with a loft aerial, but it's not too bad with a rooftop one.

When you use a Y connector you effectively change the impedance of the aerial circuit, the more tv sets on the circuit the lower the impedance and thus the amplitude of the signal gets dragged further and further down, this is the whole purpose of using DA's as they act as a buffer isolating all the other sets from each other.

There are impendence matching resistors in most Y splitters. Sadly this also reduces the signal.

Reception is often crap in a loft partly due to the high metalic content of concrete tiles.

Have you considered buying a freeview box? Seriously they don't need such a strong signal BUT are susceptable to interference, hence the need for fully screened everything.

Also always use brass coax plugs not crappy alloy or even worse plastic jobs. F types wherever possible imho.

The previous owner had a ariel lead running from inside the living room, where the existing ariel outlet is in the wall,through the wall to outside.The cable then went up the side of the house and through the said window/reveal, to the tv in the bedroom.When you connect the TV upstairs all you need do then is connect the cable to the outlet in the wall downstairs. All I did was remove the cable from outside the house and added a Y to the existing ariel cable in the loft so I could have a proper outlet in the same bedroom. A booster was added at the outlet which does improve the picture but isn't great.
I know this is a bit confusing, hopefully I've explained things well enough.I now know that the previous owner was a bit of a bodger, as I have detected handy work elsewhere.

It's all gettign clearer (hopefully your picture will too!)

So, let's clarify:

1) The bedroom TV was connected to the aerial by plugging in a lead to the living room socket, lead running up side of house.
2) The picture was fine in both rooms before
3) You have added a Y-splitter to the aerial lead in the loft, with a lead running down to your bedroom into an aerial socket.

Is the picture now bad at BOTH TVs, or just at the bedroom TV?

If it is just the bedroom TV, then we can rule out the cable from the aerial to the splitter and the cable from the splitter to the living room. In which case it is worth checking your connections to the bedroom.

Instead of a Y-splitter, something like this is better at splitting aerials.

If the signal in the living room is also bad now, when it wasn't before, check ALL your connections are fine (as in the connectors are properly fitted to the cable.

This article shows how to fit aerial connectors (in fact it seems to detail your whole project :D )

could be wrong adam

but it lookes to me like it comes from the attic to down stairs internaly
then it used to go back up stairs externaly
but he has just teed in the attic for up stairs which would make all
my comments redundant

big all

big-all said:
could be wrong adam

but it lookes to me like it comes from the attic to down stairs internaly
then it used to go back up stairs externaly
but he has just teed in the attic for up stairs which would make all
my comments redundant

big all

Yes, that is how it sounds to me (perhaps I didn't phrase my last response clearly :) )

He mentioned
When you connect the TV upstairs all you need do then is connect the cable to the outlet in the wall downstairs

Which to me sounds like the previous owner had it so there was a male connector that you plugged into the aerial socket if you wanted to watch TV upstairs.

As an aside, I used to have a similar set-up: I never used the RF output on my VCR, so ran an aerial cable from the VCR location , to the kitchen, and into a TV there. Because I had all my living room stuff running via the home cinema system, I could watch any video source in the kitchen, and even surf the web (I ran mouse and keyboard cables alongside the aerial cable, to my living room PC). When I moved stuff about I didn't bother to reinstate it because I realised I used it about twice. :LOL:

How easy is it to do that?

I've had a TV output since I bought my computer a year ago. As a result, it's possible, through my distribution system, to copy the output from the PC to the lounge TV, kitchen, bedroom, and even bathroom! What's the range from wireless keyboards/mice? If I bought one, could I surf from any room that has a TV?

perhaps adam my brain is confused :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yes of course your right but my two brain cells
are confused :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back