Bathroom light with cord pull switch problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom light cord has been a problem over many years!
This has occurred following a steamy bath, so I've assumed that condensation was the cause. This always resolved itself within an hour, when the cord could then be successfully pulled off or on.

Then last week the problem happened again, and I pulled the damn cord too hard which resulted in a broken cord. Although a small cord remains no amount of pulling will turn it on. Electricity supply continues to a shaver point just below, so I think it is something purely to do with the cord mechanism.

Is this something I could repair easily myself? - and is access to the cord mechanism from within the rose fitting on the ceiling or from my attic above my bathroom?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Replace the pull switch - the're only a couple of quid!

Thanks for your reply luminaire

- The cord disappears into the centre of the rose fitting. Do I need to remove the rose fitting from the ceiling to reach and remove the old cord, before replacing with a new pull switch? Is a pull switch the whole rose mechanism? - sorry to sound so dim!

Thanks

The cord is part of the actual switch this all fits on the base
This base screws to the ceiling with two screws inside the base

Warning !the wires may be very short or old and brittle if the switch is old

A newer switch has two screws and screws to a base.
If same new switch ( unlikely ) it will fit on same base, otherwise you usually have to change the base , this usually comes with the switch.

or

An older switch has No screws visible and will unscrew off the base , But if tight or painted needs a bit of persuading.
You will definately need to fit the new switch and base.
THIS switch IS LIVE inside so do not do unless you feel confident

Sponsored Links
are you saying the cord goes inside the light itself?
what type of light is it?

However is it save, is it not, to replace switch or whatever once mains electricity is off?
Depends if you know what your doing and can prove the electric is actually off

You have newish wiring so that makes it easier

Not sure if you can still get that style
So you may need to remove the lot including the round cover bit
And fit new one which is similar

Depends if you know what your doing and can prove the electric is actually off

Thanks Rocky, how would I set about proving electric is totally off?[/quote]

turn the main switch off.. and all the breakers.. tell all in the house that the power is off for a reason, and post warning signs onto the breaker board..

unless you have a back up generator, or a messed up set of wiring powering your lights from next door then it's a good bet to assume that it's dead then..

best practice would be to also use a volt / multi meter to check the wires at the switch to earth... but if you don't own one then the above SHOULD suffice..

Surprise surprise, this light switch of mine is now working!!

However, I don't expect it will last for very long, perhaps until my next steam bath. So now best can I prevent this from happening again?

Thanks for everyone's help and advice

The most easy thing here is just change it, the cord switch cost just £3-4 in any electrical shop.
After buy it , kill the electricity in the mains and replace it is just 2 screws
I follow this video which it shows you how.
http://youtu.be/2HHetDrmUqU

The most easy thing here is just change it, the cord switch cost just £3-4 in any electrical shop.
After buy it , kill the electricity in the mains and replace it is just 2 screws
I follow this video which it shows you how.
http://youtu.be/2HHetDrmUqU[/QUOTE]

In case this YouTube clip is viewed in the future

STOP, DO NOT TRUST THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THIS VIDEO

This guy is seriously dangerous. He has made no attempt to conform the power is actually off before getting his fingers into the wiring.

Just because the fuse/MCB etc says "upstairs lights" does not necessarily mean that is what it actually does!
ALWAYS use proper SAFE ISOLATION PROCEDURES

You will need a proper two-probe tester or multimeter to do this properly.
If you do not have the proper equipment then you should not be carrying out electrical work.

At the very least, as ColJack posted, turn off ALL of the power by switching off the MAIN SWITCH.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back