Dulux 'once' & Dulux 'Trade' colour difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Made the mistake of buying dulux 'once' brilliant white (where it get's its name from is beyond me) and used it to paint all my skirting. For my window frames i thought i'd but dulux 'trade' brilliant white to see if it was any better. Anyway i've spent all day painting my window frames and only now noticed that the 'trade' has a much whiter appearence :oops:

Is this normal, rather foolishly presumed there would be a colour standard with them being the same brand?

The thought of having to now do all my skirting again is really pi**ing me off, oh well, live and learn :(

Sponsored Links
out of interest mate what was the finish mate gloss, satinwood etc waterbase, oilbase etc

One coat finish paints have more pigment and its courser too...every heard the sound when your undercoating?..its biting into the surface.

Because of te amount of pigment there is less light reflected off the surface because its being scattered all over the place.

Traditional gloss is more oil than pigment..its the 'shine' if you like.

Hope that helps.

And if its any consolation I, and the majority of pro painter prefer traditional gloss.

Sponsored Links
I prefer it as well, but most all my clients nowadays want a satin finish - hey ho!

I generally go for an eggshell rather than the satinwood, apparently it doesn't need an undercoat - tried with & without and no appreciable difference, however, I think it flows better, dries quicker, less smell and keeps its colour better.

Can't abide the acrylics - brush marks everywhere but roll on 2010 I suppose I'll have to get used to them (or stockpile enough oilbase to last to retirement!)

Sorry duncansarmy, looks like you're back to skirtings - there are so many shades of white you wouldn't believe. We've all done it (generally half way through the bigger jobs!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back