Steel work selection...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add a beam of some sort across my garage to enable me to hoist engines etc us to a max weight of about 350kg's

The span of the garage is around 5.0m.

I assume I will need to get some calcs done to work out the beam dimensions.

Once calculated is it likely I would be able to use an off the shelf steel from somewhere or would it have to be a custom piece made? Any idea where would be a good place to contact in the Southampton area to buy from?

Sponsored Links
Will the beam be supporting anything else once in (eg. roof) ? and are you going through building control or not ?

Beam will support nothing under normal circumstances other than its own weight.

Do I need to notify building control? The garage is at the end of the garden and completely detached from the house if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
this is a double garage?

If you could find a way to support it at the half-way point, so it was 2.5m long instead of 5m, it would be very much cheaper in steelwork.

I'd be surprised if a standard section size would not be suitable for a 5m span.

Personally I would use 152 x 152 x 30 UC which is a bit more robust with thicker flanges (which is how "official" lifting beams are designed) which may be useful depending how the lifting gear will be attached. Not sure on cost difference.

A giant 'swing' (like you get in a playground) springs to mind. A pair of braced a-frames with a beam connecting them at the top. I don't imagine the sections need be too big for 350kg. and it only need be slightly wider than the vehicle.

Sumink like this

Trouble is, when leaning in the engine bay he would get water drips on the back of his neck from the gaping hole in the roof :p

lol

Dont know about the lifting gear thats going on it, what about the lifting gear to get a monster like that in?

Not sure what size you were expecting with a beam spanning 5m with a concentrated load in the middle but you could go down to a 152 x 152 x 23 UC to reduce the weight a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back