Cavity tray types? Retro-fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm familiar with the type of try below, which is built into the brickwork as work progresses. These can also be fitted into existing brickwork by chopping bricks out, inserting the tray & re-bricking.

However, is there anything else available that doesn't require bricks to be chopped out? Maybe something where you chop out a line of mortar & insert it in through there? I need to insert cavity trays in the existing house wall that my extension is joined to & just wondered if there was anything available that was easier to use?

Thanks

1c72_2.JPG

Sponsored Links
No

You either use a wide roll of DPC or preformed trays - either way you will have to chop bricks out

Thanks. Wide DPC roll? Sounds easier, just take out a row of bricks & insert DPC so that the far edge is curled up the inside of the inner wall, then insert the lead flashing under the DPC as per the sketch below?

dpc.jpg

No it's not that simple. In your diagram, the felt will just flop down the cavity.

You should have a min 150mm upstand to the inner skin and this needs to be chased in or otherwise securely fixed.

Sponsored Links
No, not if that's the only method of holding the tray to the wall.

But they cost more than a roll of DPC and a handful of clout nails:notworthy:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back