Kenwood Microwave KEN GJ/SS25 - Bulb replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
Anyone know how to replace a light bulb in the above appliance. The bulb is visible from inside, but not accessable. The only way it appears accessible is to take the whole stainless cover off which requires a specific screwdriver head that I haven't seen before/don't possess.
Is it really this difficult, or have I missed the really simple way of doing it? (I have misplaced the user manual - it is only a 2 years old).
Thanks. PJ.

Sponsored Links
If there is no excess cover on the inside or outside then remove entire outer cover. Sometimes it can be a bit awkward with some microwaves and you need three hands to get the top and side panels fit back into place but achievable!

Thanks v much. Found this elsewhere on the forum:

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:22 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there is no inspection panel on the outside of the case then......DO NOT be tempted to remove the casing!!!!

Even when disconnected from mains supply you can still get enough volts up your arm to kill you if you touch the wrong wire

Not sure how true this is, but with no inspection panel inside or out, it seems quite tricky.

Why do manufacturers do this? They know light bulbs won't last for the lifetime of the machine. Have decided to cook in the dark.........

Cheers,

PJ

I'm on my second one of these - and the bulb has just gone (the latest bulb lasted at least 5 months!). It's going back to Currys at the weekend - does anyone know of any microwave ovens where the bulb is replaceable?

Sponsored Links
I would say the bulb is replaceable in every microwave. Great if there is a small outer cover to unscrew in ordwer to access the bulb.

If not then it is a matter of taking off outer large cover having switched off and unplugged the appliance.

Locate bulb and replace without sticking your hand anywhere near the large capacitor or any other wiring.

My Creda microwave has lasted 20 years without the bulb being replaced and it is in constant use! What did we do before without them?

Thanks for replying - I actually looked at taking the thing to bits. After unplugging it and turning it upside down I located the screws that seemed to hold the casing to the chassis. After informing my wife of what I was going to do she insisted on heating up her hot chocolate before I performed the operation - on the reasonable assumption that it would never work again!

So, right way up, plugged in and... hey presto! the light came back on! So it's either the bulb that's unscrewed itself slightly or the dreaded loose connection/bad earth. I'm now under great pressure not to touch it again...

...but it's tempting!

...and the turning upside down 'fix' lasted all of 3 days...

...so I took it to bits! And replacing the bulb is very straightforward. All you do is undo the five screws that hold the 3 side casing (top and sides) - two of the screws were torx type screws (now replaced). This reveals the inner workings and a lot of probably very dangerous innards which I kept well away from. The bulb was held in place by two bits of bent metal rather than screws, prising these open allowed the bulb holder to come free and then it's just a case of replacing it and reversing the procedure.

I've probably invalidated the guarantee by doing this (because I couldn't undo the torx type screws without damaging them). But, otherwise it would have been a 30 mile round trip to take it back.

It is simply unbelievable that there is no user-friendly way of replacing the bulb!

Hi Guys,
... which requires a specific screwdriver head that I haven't seen before/don't possess.

I used a pair of pliers to undo the torx type screws (ordinary torx screwdriver was no good because of the blocking pin in the middle of the screw head). I replaced the torx type ones with ordinary star headed screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back