Moving cooker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have just moved into a new house and I need to move a cooker switch/plug socket roughly 5-6 inches to the right (to make room for a new boiler). Now I do not have much knowledge at all with electrics but I am sure this is a simple job for me as long as I connect the switch back exactly how it was already.

My main concern is that the wire going from the switch to the oven is going diagonal. Its very inconvenient to wire vertical/horizontal due to the fact I would have to take all the kitchen units out.

1. Why does the wiring have to be horizontal/vertical? Is it due to safety or due to knowing where wires are run for future drilling?

2. For the time being can I run half horizontal and half diagonal? and when I get a new kitchen (next year) I will amend it properly.

Here is a photo so you can see exactly what I mean http://www.chaoticdesigns.co.uk/house/CIMG5572.jpg

Now I know this is not ideal but once I install my new kitchen this WILL be made right. I am just hoping this is safe as I will know exactly where the wires are run.

Thanks for any help, Shaun.

Sponsored Links
1. Why does the wiring have to be horizontal/vertical? Is it due to safety or due to knowing where wires are run for future drilling?
Yes

2. For the time being can I run half horizontal and half diagonal?
No

(next year) I will amend it properly.
Hahahahahaha

Run it vertically. Under the work surface you can take the surface cable horizontally to the cooker.

Electrical work in kitchens has to be notified under the building regulations. One way to achieve this is to use an electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme and authorised to handle the documentation for you.

Ok thanks for the reply.

How come it wont be ok seeming as its been diagonal all this time?

I know what your saying is right and I should get an electrician. The problem is once I take the units and worktop out to re-run the wires correctly the units wont be able to go back in. So when I say Next year I will amend it, this is because I will buying a new kitchen next January and not just amending it "when I get round to it". I assume you think I mean "when I get round to it" due to the laughing.

Thanks, Shaun

P.S I have until wednesday untill the plumber comes round to get this sorted

How come it wont be ok seeming as its been diagonal all this time?
Because it's never been OK, and now that you've made yourself responsible for it by changing things you must not perpetuate the non-compliance.

Read these:

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/files/gb/attachments/niu/l/attachments/c5-43.pdf

http://rapidshare.com/files/82671380/concealedcables.pdf

IEE Wiring Matters Issue 14

BTW - this is not some technical "ideally you should, but..." point - people have died as a result of diagonal cables....

I know what your saying is right and I should get an electrician.
Either that, or you should notify LABC.

The problem is once I take the units and worktop out to re-run the wires correctly the units wont be able to go back in.
Why not?

But in any event, that's something you'll just have to deal with. If you're going to be having a new kitchen, can't you pay less than normal heed to aesthetics and bodge some sort of cutout in the rear edge of the worktop with it in situ so that you can run the cable down vertically? Or use surface trunking?

Whatever you do you've also got to dig out, or disconnect, the rest of the diagonal run behind the cupboards.

Are you going to replace the drop to the switch, or extend it? If the latter, have you thought about where and how you'll make the joins?

So when I say Next year I will amend it, this is because I will buying a new kitchen next January and not just amending it "when I get round to it". I assume you think I mean "when I get round to it" due to the laughing.
1) There are no exemptions in the Wiring Regulations or the Building Regulations for "temporary" fixed wiring.

2) Things could change - you could get run over by a bus and never get around to installing the new kitchen, or you might win the lottery and go on a cruise while someone else fits it for you and they might die.

You've got to do it properly.

P.S I have until wednesday untill the plumber comes round to get this sorted
Plenty of time...

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds,Thanks a lot for the very helpful post. I will definitely pull out all the diagonal wiring. When I get home tonight I will read through the links you posted.

From a quick look I hope this should be ok? (but I will read properly later) http://www.chaoticdesigns.co.uk/house/ok.jpg

What I plan to do is dig out the new channel dropped from the roof to the switch. Dig out the new switch housing. Dig out the channel from the switch to the oven going horizontally until directly above the oven box (the bit where the oven is wired into the wall) and then drop straight down. Then I will insert plastic conduit and plaster over it all. For the drop from the ceiling to the switch I will just move the old wire over into the new channel. And for the rest I will get a sparky in to fit me a new bit of wire.

I hope this sounds better as I can do this without taking to much out. If not I will rethink.

Thanks again for your help. Shaun.[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back