Plastering onto board and keeping it flush with the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sealing off a doorway and the plan is to plaster board it and then call in a plasterer to plaster flush to the existing wall so that u can’t tell that the doorway was there.

What distance do I need to leave between the plaster board and the existing flush wall in order for the plasterer to plaster onto the board and then bring it out flush?

Would 1cm be enough or……?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
To have any chance of not seeing where the door was, it gets a little more involved. First, remove the original timber door frame as plaster won’t stick to wood & then the best method is to block it up as per original. Base plaster to existing lever & skim the entire wall; but you would not easily be able to open up the door again if you wanted. To use P/board, timber batten out the door opening (similar to creating a stud wall) & screw the P/board to that. If you just want it blended in without skimming the whole wall, leave a min 3mm step but no more than 5mm. Depending on how flat the surrounding plaster is, it can be difficult to blend in what was such a large opening &, personally, I prefer to fit the p/board flush with the existing wall & then skim the whole wall.

In all cases, I break away the corner of the old plaster to give a jagged edge between the wall & the new p/board, this helps the new plaster key & reduce the risk of future cracking. I fill this gap with bonding plaster & let it go off; then apply 2 staggered strips of reinforcing tape all round & then skim; either the whole wall or blend in with the surround but this can be difficult for the above reasons. An additional problem with using p/board infill is that the P/board & solid wall will expand & contract at different rates & there is no guarantee a crack won’t appear in future where the 2 join.

I would also advise you talk to whoever is going to plaster the wall before you do anything; the above are my methods/preference but most plasterers will have individual preferences which work for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back