pipe repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While removing water-damaged flooring, I accidently damaged a copper water pipe. I bought a coupling that was recommended by someone at the store (Lowes). This coupling was plastic or PVC, and I was told it worked better than the copper ones. I put it on, and it is working so far. Is this a permanent solution? The repaired pipe will be walled in when I am done, so I want to make sure the repair is done right.

Sponsored Links
matter of opinion i dont like plastic fittings so dont use them old dogs new tricks etc
sure some of the younger lads will tell you different

There's "permanent", and then there's permanent. The joint you've used probably is "permanent" but, just as a matter of opinion, I always prefer solder joints in ANY space that is inaccesible.

I feel the same as Kevplumb regarding plastic fittings as I have seen them go. I was on a job where the client wanted to run his own cold supply to an outside tap (thru the new ceiling on new extension) and I offered to solder joints for him. He declined assuring me that plastic fittings were the best thing since sliced bread.
Needless to say you can guess what happened next :LOL:,one red faced client who was rushing for the stoptap.
I would suggest that you check that both pipe ends are pushed into the fitting properly i.e. all the way home and you should be alright.
My personal choice would be to solder where joints are inaccessible but always remember that regs tell us to make all pipe joints accessible and rightly so as the above client will testify, ;)

Sponsored Links
Not being a plumber, just a DIYer. Surly it must be better to use something that is mechanical fixing like a solder or compresion. I dont think I would ever think about using plastic fittings, but then Im old as well (new tricks etc).

Thanks for all the advice. I never really trusted the plastic fitting, I needed something quick to stop the leak. There was not a local shut off for the leak, I had to turn the main water off. So I didn't have any water until I stopped the leak. Based on your advice, I will go back and solder the joint. This way I can sleep better knowing that I am not depending on a piece of plastic. I have had to tear out my shower stall because the pan was leaking, and the subflooring was rotted. So once I rebuild it, I don't ever want to have to do this again!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back