Cooker Hood, supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Just got my first house and am in the process of installing my Cooker and Hood, i was given some advice but after reading the topics it seems it may not be correct.

I have my Cooker switch with 13A socket on a 30A fuse, and was told i could take a spur using 6mm cable from the infeed cable in to a switched fused connection (3A) for my cooker hood, is this ok?

2wn7h2t.jpg

Ahem... not exactly Da Vinchi but.... :D

Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
it would be much much much better to supply the extractor from the lighting circuit, or a 3Amp FCU from the socket circuit. I imagine you have some sockets above the worktop you could take a spur from

however electrical work in kitchens is notifiable under Building Regulations.

6mm cable, for a spur for a cooker hood supply? Not really a problem, but just a tad excessive.

Its not good practice to spur off other appliances off the cooker supply, you are better off spurring from a nearby socket.
I'm not keen on cooker switches with a socket on them, means they have to go on the RCD protected side where your cooker can throw most of the house out.

You might want to have the FCU for the cooker hood at the same level as the sockets, run a length of 2.5mm T&E up to a single unswitched socket next to or behind the hood.

I suggest you also read up on permitted cabling zones (formerly called 'safe zones')

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back