Minimum size for current building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to work out the openings for two bedroom windows and a kitchen. Would 1ooomm kitchen be ok and 1000mm bedroom allow for current fire regs?

Sponsored Links
Unless it’s a new build, major renovation or change of use the regulations for means of escape & ventilation don’t apply. The only requirement is that the replacement windows/doors do not make provision any worse than before; even the 2 new openings & windows I installed at 1st floor level did not have to comply.

For prevention of fire & means of escape, extensions are classed as new build so it will apply; my new windows were just relocated in the walls of an existing house with the originals bricked up. Building regulations, Part B1 Fire Safety contains all the info;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf

but it’s heavy going!

Here is a guide issued by Nottingham Council but it will be the same wherever you are.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/bcg016emergencywindows.pdf

Sponsored Links
Would 1ooomm kitchen be ok and 1000mm bedroom allow for current fire regs?

The actual window size is irrelevant, its the 'openable' size with is important

"The window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33m2 and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide (the route through the window may be at an angle rather than straight through). The bottom of the openable area should not be below 800mm nor more than 1100mm above the floor level."

The above applies to the bedroom only, and is not required for the kitchen one

"The window should have an unobstructed openable area that is at least 0.33m2 and at least 450mm high and 450mm wide (the route through the window may be at an angle rather than straight through). The bottom of the openable area should not be below 800mm nor more than 1100mm above the floor level."

thanks, so i should get the opening on a 1000mm wide window

thanks, so i should get the opening on a 1000mm wide window

That's exactly what it says in the guide on the above link I went to all the trouble of finding for you; but that's OK, don't mention it!

Richard C, thank you very much too. Sorry i should have said that earlier. Good man! But like you said, a bit heavy going

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back