wireless alarms advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please give me some info on wireless house alrams? I want to fit one, I like the fact you can bulid up the system bit by bit and no messy wires. Are there any draw backs and makes to avoid and make to definatelly go for?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
see this i agree with breezer, i install alarms, we use the "bees knees" of radio kit, it does cost more initally, it must have a proper signal strength test done first, and they still go wrong, so we usually replace them with hard wired ones, for insurance reasons they must be class 6, there was a comment about paying £100+ / p/a but that is for 24 hr call out AND 24 Monitoring, we usually charge 10% of installation price for the anual premium for wired alarms 20% for radio, as we have to cover the cost of changing batteries /call outs

personally i do not like them

you can always ask at your local police station (crime preventon officer) for a list of local approved compaies, if you want some one to install it for you

Thanks for the info, food for thought :)

I will check with my local Police to see what make they suggest (although they are probably on the take from a certain company *allegedly*) :)

Sponsored Links
Sorry to keep on, i am a bit impatiant but need to get thios sytem in before my first baby is born. Are there any sites i can use for more information?

Just need to know What wirlees manufactures I should stay away from and ones that are reliable manufactures./

Thanks for any help

Have to agree with the previous posters. Most people I know with wireless have had problems. I've fitted a couple of Gardtec systems (one on my own house) which I am very happy with which I believe are a professional brand (i.e. not DIY shed stuff). I got it thorough a mate with an account. Cost around £250 with a dialer and keyfob entry.

Putting in the alarm cable can be a hassle but good planning can make a huge difference to the amount of work involved. If you are proficient with basic electrics the wiring is no problem.

http://www.gardtec.ltd.uk

Thanks for the reply's. Thanks for the link also!

I realise the wireless systems are not very popular, but I am only staying in my bungalow for another 2 years max, need an alarm now and don't want to shell out for another one in the future, so a wireless one seems to make sence.

The best I have found is http://www.home-monitoring-systems.co.uk/ - Visonic PowerMax™ wireless security system

Not sure if this is a good make, but is backed by BT, so should have some credibility

Finding info on good brands is realy hard, i mean if a company makes a good alarm system then chances are if they realese a wireless one, it should be up to the same standard.

Are these any good manufactures?

ESP (Elite Security Products)
The SolarGuard SG4000 system
PowerMax™ (as mentioned above)

Thanks again

you are thinking of yourself, not the future.

a good quality hard wired alarm, will last for years and add (v small) value to the property, never needs batteries changing every 6 months (radio ones do/ should)

good quality wired alarm good selling point

radio alarm, good for a laugh

you seem to not /unable to accept the information that is put before you, the fact the radio alarms are crap

as for the line (from the link you provided) "are the only ones that allow your pet(s) to roam freely without setting off a false alarm"

i have never heard so much BULL in all my life,

take for example a cat, it will jump about / onto furniture when you are away,(but not when you are there) so coming into the "sight" of detectors setting them off
why dont you solve your problem in the following manor, buy 1 litre of ice cream, eat it, wash ice cream tub, paint ice cream tub nail tub lid to wall, but "base" onto lid

I have seen it done

this message is sponsored by bt*

(*it isn't really but it does give it more "clout")

and i am being honest about the above, are they?

Ok, I get your point :) Tried so hard to be lazy about this lol

So Hard wired it is then :) (Although a bungalow is probably the easiest to fit them too, I would imagine), which is the best makes to go for from which I can purchase and fit myself, i am quite compotent to do this I feel.

I like the ice cream tub idea, as we have a little one on the way you can imagine how many ice cream tubs we have at the moment :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back