Wireless household alarms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good wireless alarm system, with about 8-10 PIRs. I saw one by a company called Friedland (Model SA5), although it came with only a couple of PIRs they say that you can add as many as you like, is it any good?

Anything to watch out for with wireless alarm systems?

Sponsored Links
AndyDavis said:
Can anyone recommend a good wireless alarm system, with about 8-10 PIRs. I saw one by a company called Friedland (Model SA5), although it came with only a couple of PIRs they say that you can add as many as you like, is it any good?

Anything to watch out for with wireless alarm systems?

Friedland make doorbells, that is what they are good at.

also see this

This is a quote from a previous post of mine but as the thread wandered somewhat I'll repeat it rather than give you the thread URL.

I fitted a wireless to my mother's house but I wouldn't do so again . The bell was solar powered - eventually it was so unreliable I had to add a low voltage cable to ensure it got enough power. The wireless links to the alarms did not like the foil on the ceiling plasterboard (house is a bungalow) and the one in the lounge would not talk to the alarm. I had to move that one so it was inline with the door and hall to give it line of sight to the outside where the alarm is. I guess the alarm gets back scatter.

So the conclusion is wired is much better. If you do go wireless make sure you can take it back and try everything in place before you decide to go ahead.

Sponsored Links
thanks Malc, but guess where the link i posted goes to.....

I've had a "wireless" alarm a cheapy make (Yale) for years now and it's never given me any problems whatsoever apart from having to change batteries occasionally (about every 2 1/2 - 3 years).
I check it every few months and every detector works as it should.
So all i can say is don't write off all the wireless alarms just because of a few rogues or bad install.

Apologies if this seems like thread hijacking, but at what point in the take-up of wireless hardware in the home will we get to the stage where (for instance) a break-in at my home triggers my alarm but also my neighbour's as well...........?

Or I start receiving my neighbour's TV channels through wireless TV senders.....

etc etc

Regards, Graham

can't speak for others but with my system all the sensors are "learnt" into the system and therefore have their own independant Id's so they don't interfere with other neighbouring systems or vice -versa.

the final question ofc with wireless alrams is how easilly can thier correct operation by disrupted by the theif?

how do alarm panels respond to radio jamming for example?

kendor said:
can't speak for others but with my system all the sensors are "learnt" into the system and therefore have their own independant Id's so they don't interfere with other neighbouring systems or vice -versa.
thats waht the instuctions said? and you believe them? :LOL:

most radio alarms are supposed to activate if jammed, but that is there downfall, you know they are being jammed by what?

I know they work fine and i've never had trouble interference or false alarm or non operation.
Another point worth mentioning is that i live in a quiet close and two neighbouring houses have been burgled over the years but i've been ok so far, maybe the alarm box visibility has protected me so far?
It mentions jamming protection inbuilt, but lets face it any alarm system can be compromised if the burglar is determined.
And the installation of an alarm system in my case is so i get cheaper house insurance.

kendor said:
And the installation of an alarm system in my case is so i get cheaper house insurance.
consider yourself lucky then.

regarding alarms/ insurance

most insurance companies insist on an alarm installed by an approved comapny, with a maintenance contract.

also most domestic households will only save a few quid if you have an alrm, which you then have to spend on having it installed and paying anual maintenance, and if you dont set it and you get broken into, or dont get it serviced, you usually ilvalidate your insurrance

radio alarms cost more than hard wired thats a fact since they will also need to have their batteries changed at least once a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back