DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Bled radiators but still gurgling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
graham_uk

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote

Hi all,
Im a new home owner and pretty clueless when it comes to DIY; however being a homeowner I feel DIY will becomes my best friend!

And so this morning i faced a challenge unlike one i have before....

I leave the sanctuary of my bedroom at the front of the house to hear a noise, in hindsight sounds like it is a pump that is struggling to get water into it (this being from the mobile pumps we use use on our caravan) either that or it sounds like it needs a good oiling!

I go into the airing cupboard whre the noise seems more prelivant and all seems well, but the noise is in the entire house, other then the front bedroom. As soon as i tuen the central heating off the noise stops. I have bleed all the radiators, includiong a valve in the airing cupboard that had a little air in. To be fair all the radiators had loads of air in, with the least bit in the front bedroom. I turn heating back on and noise returns, not as bad as before but still significant to worry me. I bleed radiators again but all ok. Now im stumped. I am going away this weekend at 11am so dont want to be worrying about the heating system.

Excuse my naivety but we have a airing cupboard which goes into the attic. In the attic, next to the barel is what looks like a toilet cistern with rusty water in....im guessing this is the radiator water??

I have read about turning pumps down for sludge build up, but i wouldnt even know where to find the pump and what is this stop cock thing going to turn off in airing cupboard.

Can anybody help please??
Regards
Clueless??
icon_redface.gif

EDIT: The heating has been off about 20 minutes since starting the 2 bleeding processes. I have turned the heating back on and no noise at all now....is this likely to be working or simply a result of dropped heat/pressure? If i stay noise free for another hour can i consider myself fixed?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
weareleeds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:29 am Reply with quote

System may be drawing in air or pumping over due to poor design
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote

when you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out vigorously?
 Alert Moderators
nairb999

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote

JohnD wrote:
when you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out vigorously?

It looks like the poster of the original question has gone away but I would be interested in the significance of this question
 Alert Moderators
JohnD

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote

if the system is short of water, usually due to a blocked cold feed, the internal water level may not be above the highest radiator, so water may not squirt out when it is bled.

If the hot water cylinder is still higher, shortage of water may cause the cylinder to go cold.
 Alert Moderators
redviper

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi
- I too would also be interested in this outcome, as I have a simaler issue, Ive had this issue for while now (over a year) where when the boiler is 1st switched on , there is a whooshing and gurgling of water, and then all is well, i have bled radiotors, but water comes out - when the pump switches off, a simaler gurlging, and whooshing of water (i guess) is heard, and then all is quiet, so i would also be interested in the outcome of this
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: