One Radiator Stays Hot FOr Two Hours Then Goes Cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved home (6 months ago) and had the old heating system replaced with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i junior combi condensing boiler and 8 new radiators (4 upstairs and four down). The system was working fine but recently I have had problems with one radiator not staying hot.

I have contacted a few plumbers and they have told me the system needs to be balanced or maybe balanced and flushed. They also told me how much it would cost to flush the system so over the last couple of weeks I have attempted to balance the system (based on what I have been told and what I have read on the internet) but without success.

The radiator in question is the furthest away from the boiler and when I turn all the other radiators off it does stay hot (which makes me think the system does not need to be flushed, however when the system was installed the company who did it left the old pipe work in and I don’t know if they flushed the system, they said they did but I wasn’t at the property when the system was installed).

When the heating first comes on the radiator is fine and is hot like the others but after 2 hours it cools down and after 3 hours is completely cold (I know this because I’m that sad I have timed it).

I must admit I’m at a bit of a loss now and before I spend a large amount of money getting in a plumber I wondered if anyone could give me an advice.

Thanks in advance

Shane

Sponsored Links
I have contacted a few plumbers...
Sorry - you lost me at "few".

As soon as you start shopping around tradespeople for opinions, it's clear that avoiding expenditure is more important to you than getting the problem solved.

Your best course of free action is to do nothing and hope for the best.

Sorry if its obvious, but does the radiator have a thermostatic valve?

Read post 8 FAQs.

More likely a balancing problem but check the trv (above )if it goes off prematurely. :D

Sponsored Links
Does sound like a balancing problem I agree. It is a requirement of the warranty conditions for the boiler that the system is powerflushed before the new boiler is fitted! This should have been done as part of the job when your new boiler was installed. Bear in mind if you have a warranty claim and Worcester Bosch think the existing system wasn't cleansed properly prior to the fitment of the new appliance your claim may be void!

The installer should have filled out the benchmark certificate to confirm this has been done and indicate the chemicals they used in the process, and inhibitor added upon completion. If you are unsure then contact the installer you used.

Hi Shane ive just posted my radiator problem on the forum and then yours came up as a similar problem. Can you tell me if you have managed to sort out what the problem is, if so can you please tell me as all the plumbers are scratching their heads. Many thanks , Clare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back