Potterton Netaheat Profile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 questions regarding our boiler.
Unit in question is a Potterton netaheat profile - which was installed at time of property build around 16 years ago.

There are a few threads suggesting this model has safety concerns - yet not clear why that might be the case - whether down to installation /. servicicing impacts or a design issue from the outset?

The enquiry has arisen as it appears to be developing an intermittent fault. occasionally the boiler will receive a heat request, the fan will commence to run, followed by what I believe to be the air pressure switch activating, then it shuts down again - when I would normally hear the igniter fire. There's no dramatic delays or pauses, it simply shuts down, waits a second then the fan spins and cycles again. This might resolve itself after one or two cycles - or run for 5 or 6 before commencing normal operation. It's quite evident when it occurs as the fan start up noise and cabinet resonance is louder than when humming along.

So, any history or considerations on this model of boiler that I should be aware of or consider.
As for the developing faults - I'm suspecting a PCB replacement being required - though any items I should inspect / check prior would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
How long since the boiler was serviced by a RGI ?
The safety issue of your boiler is I believe the fact they are a positive pressure room sealed boiler and need to be checked to ensure they are well sealed.

I'd seen in the manual the need to ensure casing seal was good etc and I did inspect it back in the summer when had to remove case front - all looked to be intact and in good condition.
Service was around 12 months ago as part of a landlord safety inspection and service as we were renting property at that time.

So all things considered, if PCB is replaced it could give another few useful years of service with no major concners other than having it cared for regualrly - was thinking of British Gas cover - hmmm... wonder if I could sign up today - would a PCB failing in a month or two be covered?

what makes you think it's the PCB not very often they fail on these boilers, get it serviced, it probably is a dirty pilot injector. It is a CORGI job, checking the seals properly is more than a visual check..

Sponsored Links
OK - will maybe pursue the British Gas cover then as they service when they start cover on the thing.

Thanks

BG would take it on if its fitted correctly and works OK, they do an initial breakdown/first vist for extra money.
I would be suspecting PCB with your symptoms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back