Extractor Fan in Bathroom???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im in the process of getting quotes for a bathroom renovation. The bathroom is only about 2m square, we want to install an electric shower as part of the renovation (no shower at present).

One of the builders is saying we should have an electric extractor fan, however, there is a current air vent about one foot below ceiling height and they are saying this is too low.

The ceiling does need replacing but I thought they would just put new plasterboard over existing lathe and plaster, however they are suggesting building new suspended ceiling just above air vent and installing extractor where existing vent is.

I can see the logic of steam rising etc, but I am wondering if I do actually need an extractor fan? The house has suffered from condensation in the past so I would like one but but I am wondering if the benefit outweighs losing a foot of height in a small space. Also budget is very tight.

What are your views on this, can I get away without an extractor fan, can I simply open the window very slightly when we have a bath or shower?

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you have no option as to conform to building regs you need forced extraction 15 volumetric litres per minute from memory.
Pete

Why does the OP have to conform to the building regs? There is no mention of a notice being made to the LA.

Whilst a fan will help, an opened window and a vent will do the job - as long as you use the window and keep it open for a while after using the bathroom.

The existing vent is not "too low" and most if not all extract vent manufacturers recommend an installed height of about 1800mm and 300 in from a wall.

I can't see the reasoning behind lowering the ceiling.

Don't get the fact that steam rises confused with the job of a vent. A vent is not going to extract any steam, but rather allow air circulation with will then reduce humidity levels

There's no reason why they can't install an extractor fan in the wall where the current vent is. Or have a ceiling mounted fan vented through the loft and out through the eaves.

Sponsored Links
suggest you dump existing quotes and try some more.

on my last bathroom refit i took out a suspended ceiling it just looked very very tacky.

don't open the window before bath or shower you'll freeze to death. open it afterwards and leave it for 15mins or so until you can feel the humidity has gone.

fans are spec'd in the current building regs. i don't believe you would need to comply as your only maintaining what's already their.

fans are convenient but i find them annoying if wired to work when the lights on or the shower is switched on. i like them if their wired for manual control ie you can switch them on for a while once you’re done in the room. i like the idea of putting fan in the hole for the existing vent (posn is sound for me and not too low). but if happy suggest you try as is for a while and then get fitted later if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back