Glow-worm compact 75p problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Glow-worm Compact 75p boiler which was new when we moved in 7 years ago. I have it serviced once every couple of years or so.

Recently it seems to be cycling on and off more frequently when the central heating is on. It will fire up for just a few seconds and then go off again (the pilot light doesn't go out). Plus every now and again (seems especially when it's very cold and there's a greater demand on the boiler for heating), it will do this very rapid clicking as if it is trying to fire up but can't. The pilot light still doesn't go out, and if I turn the heating off for a few minutes, it will be OK again when I turn it back on.

Of course it didn't do it when the service guy was here last time :evil: but has anyone got any idea what this could be?

Disclaimer - I have no intention of trying to repair my boiler, I just don't want to be told I need a new one when it's just a minor problem with a thermocouple or something.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Probably the PCB. The rapid clicking is a relay chattering.

You DO need a CORGI for this.

Rob, thanks. Yes, I'd get a CORGI guy out to do it for me.

Do you have a rough idea of what would be a reasonable charge for supplying and fitting a new PCB?

Sponsored Links
It might well not be the PCB.

Could be the APS or most likely just the fan being dirty.

The fan should be removed and cleaned every couple of years as they turn all the time and get very dirty.

Tony

logo-corgi.gif

The service guy took the fan out and cleaned it, so it's not that.

What's the APS (please excuse my ignorance)

The fan outlet connection on your model is a real paid to fit !

Its just possible that its not properly connected or has come loose.

The APS is a safety device to confirm the fan is turning before the gas can be turned on.

Tony

logo-corgi.gif

:evil:
corgi

Sounds like it could be a number of things then. I was hoping there'd be one simple answer!

The boiler is working, so I guess there's no real urgency as I'll hopefully be switching it to hot water only for summer fairly soon. I will get it looked at before next winter.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Lisa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back