Time for a spark plug change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm about to change the spark plugs in two mk4 Ford Fiestas. I've looked at what I need to do the job, and know what type of plugs to get. However the electrode gap is specified as 1.3mm but all the feeler gauges I've found only go up to 1.0mm. Is there something really basic I'm missing here?

I've decided to ask my partner's uncle to change the first set so I can watch and learn. He's a mechanic so shouldn't be a problem.

Sponsored Links
you add two together to make the gap

a 1.0 and a 0.3 this 1.3

you will probally find the gap is correct on the plug anyway

the two feelers joined together should slide freely with a hint of resistance

Thanks stupid really! In my car the engine has "Endura-E" written on it and in the other there is no writing. Both look completely different engines but both are 1299cc (checked and their registered as such) and the Haynes manual states that for a 1.3L Endura engine the spark plug is type HR7DCX. The only other choices are types for Zetec engines, but as far as I know there is no 1.3L Zetec engine. Also in the car with the mystery engine there is a tube connected that says zetec on it, although I had assumed that this was just a universal part. Therefore what spark plugs should I go for for this car if not the HR7DCX type?

By the way it is a 2000 registration (the one without Endura written on the engine). Is it normal for the same engine to look completely different? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it looks completely different then it probably is, and most likely a zetec, although i thought the zetecs were 1.25 litre, Most motor factors and main dealers now only need the registration no. and entered into there computer system will normally determine which engine is fitted (often a different code in the vin.no) or try and find engine code or no. (front of handbook / service book might have engine code listed) Failing that get your mechanic friend to identify engine or remove a plug and check its part no.

One word of warning (from experience on a Ka!) check the new spark plugs are the same length as the old spark plugs as the endura ones are slightly shorter......... if you put in the zetec plugs (which the nice friendly ford garage supplied me) the valves will hit the plugs and make a mess off your engine :mad:

One word of warning (from experience on a Ka!) check the new spark plugs are the same length as the old spark plugs as the endura ones are slightly shorter......... if you put in the zetec plugs (which the nice friendly ford garage supplied me) the valves will hit the plugs and make a mess off your engine :mad:

How can the longer Ka spark plugs hit the valves?
surly if the plugs were too long they would hit the pistons, and would very soon be destroyed after they had done their damage.

Wotan

Because they go in the head at an angle.

carbits004.jpg

carbits001.jpg

carbits003.jpg

Nice picture of a burnt valve, but still not convinced that the valve damage was caused by it hitting the spark plug the angle does not look right.

Wotan

Nice picture of a burnt valve, but still not convinced that the valve damage was caused by it hitting the spark plug the angle does not look right.

Wotan

Either way, it f**ked it good and proper :mad:

Yes it certainly is!

Fitting a plug that is too long, the threads would probably get burnt and carboned up, this would make the removal difficult as the burnt damaged thread would more than likely jamb when trying to remove.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Back